Posted 2 days ago

Car tax / Vehicle Excise Duty question.

Hi. Need to get a new (to me) car soon and am really having trouble working out what the road tax will be on cars from 2025 & I don't want to make a costly mistake.

The system is very confusing but....

If I understand right cars registered on or after 01/03/01 and before 01/04/17 with low CO2 emissions are the only ones who won't see big increases. They will just move from Band A (which will be deleted) to band B. So from 2025 cars in this age bracket with CO2 emissions under 100 g/km that used to be £0 will then be £20 per year.

Is this correct? Thanks!
Community Updates
New Comment

27 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I think a lot of ev car owners / buyers are in for a shock next year

Here’s a summary of what the changes look like:

Any EVs registered on or after 1/4/25 will need to pay the lowest first year rate of VED of £10.
    From the second year, this will change to the standard rate of £180 per year.
    This standard rate will also apply to any zero emission cars that were registered between 1/4/17 to 31/3/25.
    The Expensive Car Supplement for EVs will also be scrapped come 2025, impacting models listed above £40,000.
    Zero and low emission cars (electric and hybrid) registered between 1/3/01 and 30/3/17 in Band A will transition to the Band B rate, which is £20 per year.
    As for electric van owners, they will be required to pay the same rate as petrol or diesel light goods - which is £290 per year.
    Author
    Thanks for that now I have it in black and white I wonder if there is any point trying to fit into the lower bracket. They obviously have the intention of squeezing everyone so I could see that disappearing after a couple of years too!
    52445989-PnEaz.jpg
    Dunno if that's any help, but that's what it'll be next month
    Author
    Thanks, it's all the years after that concern me!!
    That’s more info than i could find.
    Was looking for mates Prius, £0 now, so £20 is not bad.
    Ev’S will be charged £10 for year one and then lowest tax band £180 ish.
    Author
    Yes, it's hard to find the info, maybe thats how they want it
's avatar