Posted 21 hours ago

Car windscreen - sticky pads

After some advice regarding mounting on the car windscreen.

Had a window replacement a few years ago and think in the process the old sticky mounting pads weren't replaced and re-used. Over time this has lead to the rain sensor strip dropping away and needs regularly pushing back on to the pads. The adhesion that remains is insufficient and it drops away again a few days later.

Any idea what the automotive industry originally fit or the likes of auto windscreens use ?

There's generic 3M pads but under summer heat or winter cold I'm guessing they might become unstuck too. They've always been pretty useless when used around the home for hooks and stuff.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

5 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    The original 3M pad that I stuck to my rear screen for my next base rear camera is still going strong.
    Fitted in January 2017.
    I cleaned the screen with isopropyl alcohol first.

The front one uses a suction cup and drops off monthly.
    My daughters tracker stuck to her windscreen with 3m was extremely difficult to remove after 1 year so im pretty sure 3m will do just fine.
    Just clean properly before applying
    Rain sensors are not just 'stuck on', they should have a clear gel or similar to ensure that they work properly. However the last time I had a windscreen replaced they didn't replace the adhesive or the gel. I got fresh adhesive installed a couple of days later, although the fitter wasn't happy that he had to come back and do the job properly. It's a shame you didn't spot them trying to reuse the pads when they first did it as you could have complained.

I would recommend going to your dealer and getting the proper pad and/or fitting kit. (edited)
    Author
    Not something I'd spotted tbh. Assumed it was a gel as the inner and outer case look to be mounted separately and the case latched over it
    You can buy 3m double sided tape, and just cut it to size. I've used it when changing cars for the dash cam mount, as it's a lot cheaper than a pack of cut to size pads.
's avatar