Posted 8 January 2024

Chromebook minimum specs

Just wondering what are the minimum specs I should be looking at for a chrome book. 

It will be used mainly for Google docs and teams no gaming 

This has caught my eye 
currys.co.uk/pro…tml

seems to be the new batch of chrome plus books ??
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    For decent entry/mid-range - I'd say look for something with the Pentium Silver N6000 (ChromeOS updates will last until 2031) or if you can, the Intel N100 or N200 or Core i3-N305 (ChromeOS updates to June 2033). Check the screen is IPS and full HD.....and touch if important to you. Ideally try for 8GB RAM. I'd recommend looking at Grade A refurbs if you want the best value.

The example you give will more than meet your needs. Amazon also have the ASUS Chromebook Plus model (non-touch) at £250 right now: amazon.co.uk/dp/…9B/ (edited)
    Looks pretty good for the price, I have had an alert out for this: hotukdeals.com/dea…621

But I won't buy the 4gb version, only 8gb. Although for my usage the 4gb with better screen is better than 8gb with a lower quality screen.
    I have had a chromebook for over 2 years - best laptop i ever bought. still have my windows. linux and android devices, but this is my goto. It has a touchscreen so I love it. Shame, no backlit key board.

The chromebook + is quite recent and not every manufacturer has produced every model they intend to matching this spec. If you look hard enough you should find some chromebooks that match the chromebook plus spec and these maybe attract some discounts.
    I dont expect to replace mine anytime soon but when i dobit will be a plus. If I feel flushHP top of the range will be my choice, failing that asus or lenovo.
    Not that many high street vendors these days, so use Currys as a showroom. If you can then see the same online - haggle with currys to pricematch. If anything goes wrong, it is much easier to take back to currys and resolve. Don't forget to use a credit card for added protection. Good luck.

blog.google/pro…us/ (edited)
    Looks pretty good for the price, I have had an alert out for this: hotukdeals.com/dea…621

But I won't buy the 4gb version, only 8gb. Although for my usage the 4gb with better screen is better than 8gb with a lower quality screen.
    I'd find a different retailer
    Don't go for basic, go midd to top
    Author
    What’s classes as a mid to top Chromebook please 
's avatar