Posted 1 day ago

Cordless drill for basic DIY

Afternoon,
Looking for a cordless drill for the occasional basic around the home DIY. I’ve seen this one but would like some advice on whether there are better ones out there for around the £30 mark all in. Thanks in advance.

aldi.co.uk/20v…101
Community Updates
New Comment

5 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Please note, the battery and charger are sold separatley.
    This is a bare unit without battery and charger, from memory the charger is about £16 and a 4ah battery is about £25-£30 but Aldi had major supply issues with their battery for ages and no batteries were available in any stores so be careful before purchasing. The problem was so bad that Aldi were selling their brushless cordless tools for £10 to £15 (do a search on hukd).
    for a casual diyer this drill would be fine, Lidl do their parkside range for similar money but budget for charger.
    you can check on amazon, eBay and even AliExpress (a friend bought a brushless Mikita clone, it was really good and cheap) they sell complete packages if budget is an issue.
    if you are only buying one drill make sure it has hammer action, 2 speeds, different torque settings and variable speeds and reversible. This will allow you to the vast majority of drilling, screw driving and mixing duties.
    I bought an Aldi Drill around 15 years ago and it's still going strong. Been known to go 12 months without a charge and still be ready to use.
    As says.

There is no battery or charger included in the link for the drill you posted. So, how much is that drill with a battery & charger? I suspect it is more than £30.
    Depending on how much and how heavy DIY want to do there is one offer in here for a DayPlus for about £13 plus shipping (bat, accessories and charger included).

I have it and seems ok for light chores. Haven't used it yet but it seems decent for basic holes in the wall and furniture mounting.
's avatar