Posted 19 December 2023

Dab+ Radio Recommendations Under £70

Hi looking to purchase a new Dab+ Radio for my Dad (in his 70s). It will be to go in the kitchen running off mains. Ideally under around £70.

He wants a radio, not Alexa etc before anyone suggests that 😄

I've spent far too long studying the diff websites - Argos, Amazon, Currys etc It seems every radio has its faults. Just want one easy to use with a decent amount of presets. Eg Roberts Play 10 looked good but only has 3 presets. Others don't seem to come with power adaptor.

Any recommendations? It would be really helpful, thanks!
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I have had the earlier version of the argos.co.uk/pro…:15 for several years. Simple, good DAB reception and decent sound at moderate volumes. The bigger version is only a bit more expensive and gets good feedback argos.co.uk/pro…:15 Certainly better than the 2 Pure radios that both failed. Only downside is the instructions are not great on how to use the pre-progam buttons.
    Author
    Thanks I notice these are both Dab rather than Dab+ but will check them out.
    For long lasting and for sound quality I would buy a Roberts or a Pure. Should be able to pick up a mains one New for less than £70.
    I'd look at Pure.
    I bought my Dad a Majority one - still going strong after 5 years, as is Dad!
    Both my Argos Bush dab radios failed after around 8 years so bought the latest Bush Dab+ model but it kept dropping the signal so I returned it.

I ended up with a Pure Evoke Play Dab+ at just over twice your budget (on offer) - but the difference is absolutely night and day. I didn't realise my previous ones were tinny, but they sure were and the quality of the controls is in a different league too.
    alexa is dab, but without the bad reception
    Author
    Yeah, I've got an Alexa but my Dad doesn't trust smart speakers.
    Obviously Alexa isnt DAB - DAB is broadcast from transmitters - just digitally rather than FM - whereas an internet radio is streamed but using portals and Alexa uses apps (skills) to stream

I nearly went for a Pure Elan Connect £35 on ebay (DAB FM Internet) but I remembered that the sound quality wasnt good with my previous Pure - maybe older ones were better - plus getting internet radio using portals relies on the portal not closing

So I went for a Show 5 gen 3 at £45 - the sound is ok and it displays a clock thats easy to read - no need to worry about all the other things it can do - just say play xxx and so its even easier than using a DAB (edited)
's avatar