Posted 2 days ago

Direct debit car tax

Hi all
Direct debit was cancelled by mistake and now can't find the log book how to get taxed from next month onwards

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Has your house been burgled recently?

Tax your car, motorcycle or other vehicle using a reference number from:

• a recent vehicle tax reminder or ‘last chance’ warning letter from DVLA
    • your vehicle log book (V5C) - it must be in your name
    • the green ‘new keeper’ slip from a log book if you’ve just bought it
    If you do not have any of these documents, you’ll need to apply for a new log book. You can tax your vehicle at the same time.

You can pay by debit or credit card, or Direct Debit.
    Agree with willy_wonka,
    all info is correct, you need the unique reference number to tax your vehicle otherwise you would need to a replacement log book from DVLA for £25.
    i pay mine on receipt of a reminder letter, this usually arrives about 3 to 4 weeks approx before the current road tax ends (it won’t arrive before this otherwise you can lose a month by mistake)
    If your road tax expires end of March then assuming your details haven’t changed you should have received your reminder by now, if it expires end of April then wait a few weeks.
    do you get reminder letters if you pay by direct debit? I would have thought they will contact you (Maybe email) in some way just to let you know of upcoming payment and will contact you when payment has been taken together with a “application compete“ acknowledgement, this will include a 16 digit application reference number, vehicle registration, number of months of cover, start date, amount paid and bank number payment was taken from.
    You can try to contact dvla asking about you not receiving your reminder letter but suspect they will simply tell to you need a new V5. I know it’s difficult to contact dvla for info.
    dont be tempted to drive an untaxed vehicle, apnr is everywhere and if caught it can result in a big fine together with court costs.
    Author
    I have to set up new as probably not your cases as you amended pls advise
    I don't think I needed the log book. Go on the offical gov site, it'll ask for your reg and might not need much more
    Author
    I thought its that simple but it's not
    Surely youd put such an important item somewhere safe with all your other important stuff ? Have you checked that location?
    This is why i have my son and daughters v5 put away with mine, they're irresponsible too
's avatar