Posted 20 January 2023

No TV guide/EPG when using freesat with Sony TV

I connected my Sony a90k to Freesat, all the channels come up fine and play, but the epg/guide doesn't show any information not even program name, it works fine normally with the aerial and freeview, I just wanted to know if this was normal or not, thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Are you SURE You tuned into Freesat and not just satellite tuner (DVB-S)? On my Sony TV there's two options. And only one of the two has an EPG.

If it's definitely on Freesat then I recommend checking for software updates then trying a factory reset and retrying in the hope that it's just a glitch.

Mine definitely has such information displayed in Freesat mode. Even if I am not a huge fan of the layout.
    Author
    Yes I definitely tuned it into the freesat one, I disabled Youview as well still won't work

Freeview tuner works fine with the epg but signal not as reliable as satellite connection

Seems to be a common problem when searching online, thanks anyway
    every TV I know of will have an epg !
    mine updates faster if on the main channels though ....
    Have you put your post code in to Freesat on the TV? Just done the same as you with our LG and get guide up without a problem but it's area dependant what order the channels come up to facilitate local BBC and ITV variations. Perhaps if the TV doesn't know where it is may have given up the ghost on the EPG.
    Hi, I'm the other UK person who has a Freesat Sony TV. It must be over 10 years old now but still delivers a nice HD picture. Only its satellite tuner does HD so I use that for live TV. And the EPG... In DVB mode (that lets you tune non Freesat plus Freesat channels), all the EPG does is show the current and next programme for the channel you're currently tuned to. One tip about older Sony Freesat sets, it had a fault where every few months it would lose all it's presets/favourites which was a big nuisance because without these it's channel chaos. I was using the DVB option and the reason for the fault (which Sony wasn't aware of) was that I had auto retune enabled.

I tried the Freesat option and don't like the way it assigns channels, too much pruning needed. Can't remember what the EPG looked like. Workaround is have the Freeview app on your phone. It offers a very nice EPG localised for your region. I also use the PVR for a full EPG. (edited)
's avatar