Posted 16 hours ago

Esim - can I make the most of "new account" offers?

I bought the pixel 8 pro, and it comes with an esim. I currently have a lebara Sim with a number I want to keep as I have had it for about 30 years.
1: If I were to put in my Sim card, with a known account, could I download an esim as a new customer, taking advantage of the 1p for 100gb for 2 years deals etc? Would the Sim and esim talk to each other, and inform Lebara that I am actually pulling a fast one?
2: Assuming it goes through OK, with one old account, and one new, what do I do at the end of the offer period if I wanted to take another offer? Do I delete all on the esim, just tell it the new login details and number,or would the new profile simply override the old one? Again, would it call home and grass me up?
Perhaps installing my old number on the esim would be best, and just get new Sim cards with offers. In which case we go back to scenario 1.
I was thinking of keeping my number as a Sim because I could swap to any phone if I wanted, without esim dependency.

Or.....
Could I have 2 profiles, with neither talking to each other?
Could both profiles be live at the same time, so irrespective of which number you call/text, it will get through? I understand physical and esim is either, not both. Does that mean the offline number goes to answer machine? What of any received texts?
Community Updates
New Comment

22 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Does Lebara do esim
    Author
    From the UK site

Does Lebara offer eSIM
    We don't currently support eSIM, but it is on the roadmap for the end of 2024. Follow us on social media to be the first to hear any updates on eSIM.
    I've got 8 eSIMs on my iPhone but only 2 can be active at once (or you can have 1 physical, 1 eSIM active)
    Author
    So you can have 2 numbers live, and receive calls / SMS on both without having to physically switch? What happens to line 2 when using line 1? Is it "busy"?
    What is the 1p for 100gb deal?
    I think it's just an exaggeration
    Go back to basics think of esim as the same as having a physical SIM, I suspect you're overthinking it a bit, with esim you can select whether to have it active or not, the advantage being you can have multiple esims "installed" on your phone but only 1 can be active at the same time as your regular SIM.

Both regular and esim can be active at the same time for calls and SMS (you can control this in settings, ie ask every time which to use or set a default for outgoing) however you must select which SIM is used for data.

Oh and Lebara don't currently offer esim afaik. (edited)
    Author
    Oh suck! Does that mean I still have to pretend I'm a facebook car salesman and carry 2 phones?

I had typed esim and lebara. Just checked the site and unfortunately it was the Swiss one, so they can get it. Once again we Brits get shafted
    A dual physical sim or sim and esim phone will have different imei numbers....afaik.

Whether that extends to dual mac addresses etc Im not sure.
    Author
    OK. So in this instance Lebara was a bad example.
    So. If company A does esims and physical Sims, and I have an account already with them, would the Sims handshake and grass me up if I got another Sim from company A that was on a special deal for new customers only? The IMEI would be different per line, so they couldn't compare.
    Hey You’re still overthinking it.

1. The eSIMs/ SIMs don’t ’handshake’ or communicate with each other and they won’t grass you up.
    2. The companies don’t care if you have multiple ’new customer’ and in fact Lebara will allow you to manage multiple ’new customer’ offers on the same account and app.
    The IMEI for each SIM or esim is different. I have taken up numerous 1st time deals on the 2nd esim on my pixel7pro . Not sure of the total Sims I can have installed at once but I'm sure I have had at least 6 but only 2 work at one time either SIM or esim,
's avatar