Posted 8 December 2023

Ethernet Splitter & More HDMI ports? Please help!

Hi Everyone,

So with it being a New Build property, there is an existing media plate that has been installed in the living roomS

Now my question is that it only has 2 Ethernet ports that can be used.

Ideally I’d like my TV, Sky Stream, Xbox, Sonos and any other devices all connected via Ethernet. Is there a way to do this to maintain internet speed?

I also am looking into a new TV and many come with 4 HDMI ports but I suspect I may need more. Any advice or suggestions on HDMI splitters?

Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Switches are what you need.

An 5 port network switch will allow you to connect 4 devices to a single ethernet socket (this for example - amazon.co.uk/dp/…N4S )

HDMI switches are a bit more hit and miss, depends on whether you want some auto-switching, having to physically press a button on the device or have a separate remote to choose the input. Don't know as much about these but I'm sure others will be able to advise.
    Author
    Thank you so much @Iain ! Any idea what the difference between the normal metal one and the one listed as ‘smart switch’
    There have been a few deals posted on here for 8 port switches. CEX seems to be the place to go for cheap HDMI switches, or you can search for them on Amazon. 4K ones will cost more, but only if you need that functionality.
    Regarding an ethernet switch I've just done something similar with a 5 port TP link also, I also recommend getting some flat ethernet cable like this you can easily tack to skirting board or in my case just slide it down the side of the carpet and skirting to make it invisible.

From router around the skirting
    amazon.co.uk/War…h=1

Black ethernet for my device
    amazon.co.uk/UGR…h=1

Edit - just noticed you have ethernet pre installed so you should consider the short black flat cable for your devices. (edited)
    Have a look at this
's avatar