Posted 3 February 2024

Faulty Samsung S21

I have a Samsung S21 that suddenly crashed, screen frozen and then rebooted.

On reboot the same happened, half picture on screen and phone crashed.

The phone is 2.5 years old, the battery was aged and I was thinking about replacement anyway. So have purchased a new phone.

I would however like to fix the phone, firstly because I like taking things apart and fixing where I can, and secondly to offer my son an alternative to his current iPhone 8!

The phone occasionally boots up, most of the time it won't get past the Samsung logo on the screen. It hasn't suffered any fall damage or water. It isn't bent or cracked.

I have been messing with it and tried chilling it, when it is really cold it boots up fine, I have done a factory reset and reflashed the firmware. When it warms fully it crashes again, it doesn't feel like it has over heated.

Is anyone more knowledgeable than me on next steps to try? I feel replacing the battery may solve the situation and it could be a voltage issue.

Thoughts?
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    It will need a whole new board. The actual circuitry and/or chips on board are damaged and there's very little you can do yourself at this point, and may not be worth doing.

It's the first time in a long time I have heard about this happening. It's more of an issue on the older phones (Nexus devices were notorious for it) but you have almost confirmed for me that it's the same issue since you said it stopped bootlooping and worked perfectly when kept cold, but as soon as it warmed up again it broke.

A new battery won't change anything, sadly.
    Author
    Thanks for the confirm, you have saved me £30 trying a new battery
    If you believe a non-abused device has prematurely failed / developed an issue:
    present your Consumer Rights Act claim to the trader and/or regulated credit provider that sold you the prematurely-busted rubbish.
    Author
    Thanks Andy, good shout. I think 2.5 years is a bit soon for complete failure.