Posted 13 February 2021

Guide to buying Nintendo Switch games from other regions (including USA, Russia, South Africa, Japan etc)

Since the Nintendo Switch is region free, it is possible to buy games from other regions to save more money. This post should hopefully guide you through the process and will be updated should anything change or when other regions become accessible. I'll attempt to support the thread with answers to questions and will welcome corrections and suggestions.

This is not against Nintendo's terms of service and is referred to in their support pages.

3668102.jpg

Generally speaking, Nintendo Switch games are cheaper in other regions, this can be seen when viewing eShop-prices.com.

3668102.jpg

Unfortunately, South American regions are usually cheaper by far but due to the complex nature of some of these stores, buying from Argentina, Brazil and (probably) Mexico won't be covered here.

Currently, Russia and South Africa are usually cheaper than the UK for most games, sometimes Norway or Poland too. The process for buying from these regions is the same and is detailed below.

Bear in mind that some stores accept PayPal and others not.

Please read the complete guide before proceeding.

Buying from EU regions (including South Africa and Russia):

1.On a browser, select your game

2.Sign in with the same account as is on your console

3.Click profile picture

4.Click User Information

3668102.jpg
5.Click Profile

6.Change region

3668102.jpg

3668102.jpg
7.Buy game with Credit card or PayPal (depending on region)
*Check that English language support is present
3668102.jpg
8.Game will download automatically

9.Switch region back to UK

*It's advisable to use a translator such as the one built into Google Chrome on foreign sites

3668102.jpg
NB.

If you have credit on your eShop account you may lose it or be unable to change regions, spend the balance before switching.

If you have a Nintendo network id linked to your account, unlink it to change regions (can be linked back after).

3668102.jpg

Also, if you have an active NSO membership set to auto renew, you will need to cancel auto renew. Same applies to Pokémon home.

Gold Coins will stay in the region you gained them, so if you purchase from a foreign store you will gain coins to be used at that specific region. These will not be lost by switching.

Note* If the account is registered to a child, it may not be possible to change back to UK after switching. Please consider this prior to changing region.

Payments by PayPal and credit cards will be charged a conversion fee, it is preferable to use a fee free card such as Revolut or Monzo.
PayPal conversation rates.

Buying from the US eShop

For buying from the US eShop it is advisable to create a US account and buy US eShop credit (it is technically possible to change regions as for EU shops, but due to the payment method you'll very likely be 'stuck' in the US until you spend all of your bought credit).

1.Create a US account here

3668102.jpg
2.Register this US account on your console, using the same email address you used to create the account.

3. UK payment methods won't work on the US eShop, you'll need to buy US eShop credit, eg:
pcgamesupply
CDKeys
BestBuy
Offgamers
Playasia
When buying from these retailers, you'll likely need a US address. Use an address with an Oregon or Alaska zip code for tax free purchases.

4.Add the credit to your US eShop account: How to Add Funds to Nintendo Switch US eShop account.

5.Buy the game from Nintendo eShop USA

6.You should now have a US account on your console, the games from this account can be accessed in the same way as your UK account by selecting your new profile.

Buying from Japanese eShop

1.Create a Japanese Nintendo account.

3668102.jpg

2.Register the account on your console with the same email address.

3. UK payment methods won't work on the Japanese eShop, you'll need to buy eShop Yen credit eg:
Offgamers
Playasia

4.Add the credit to your new Japanese account.

5.Buy the game from Japanese eshop

6.You should now have a Japanese account on your console, the games from this account can be accessed in the same way as your UK account by selecting your new profile.

*It's advisable to use a translator such as the one built into Google Chrome on foreign sites

3668102.jpg
Always check that the game you are buying from Japan has English Language support.

Links:
Nintendo eShop South Africa
Nintendo eShop Poland
Nintendo eShop Switzerland
Nintendo eShop UK
Nintendo eShop USA
Nintendo eShop Norway
Nintendo eShop Japan
Nintendo eShop region select page

Revolut
Monzo

pcgamesupply
CDKeys
BestBuy
Offgamers
Playasia

Japanese eShop games with English language support
Nintendo Switch US Tax Free Zip Code for Nintendo eShop
Currency Converter
eShop-prices.com
Community Updates
New Comment

190 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I'm sure some of you maybe be aware of this, but it's possible to buy Nintendo Switch game downloads from the Mexico eShop.

It's the same as using process as the US/Japan eShop above, as they also accept gift cards on the Mexico store.

All I did was set up an additional Nintendo account, set the location to Mexico then added this account to Switch device, as purchases are made directly from the Switch rather than a desktop or mobile browser.

I purchased a Mexico gift card via eneba.com

Voucher code COLO will currently give you 3%, off

Eneba have 200 or 500 MXN cards, which cost £7.75 (0.03875 per MXN) or £20.29 (per 0.04058 per MNX) if you select the Codes4ALL option from the list of providers.

eneba.com/nin…ico

I did check out Eneba before taking the plunge and the reviews at Trustpilot were very favourable, with 85% over over 40,000 reviews saying the service is excellent -

I've purchased Hollow Knight for 149.99 MXN and just entered the gift card code at checkout, so cost £5.31, rather than £10.99 at UK eShop.

Hope this helps some
    Author
    misstiger0027/06/2021 18:48

How do you temporarily turn off auto renew?

nintendo.co.uk/Sup…tml

I'd just turn off auto renewal completely tbh, the price you'd be paying direct from Nintendo is way higher than CDKeys or Shopto.

If you really want to leave it on, the best way to get the Russian price is to open a Russian Nintendo account
    Author
    maxi8225/04/2022 12:53

Hi @pirate1I am trying to buy …Hi @pirate1I am trying to buy https://store-jp.nintendo.com/list/software/70010000013977.html (Mario party) I will pay around £30 for this.I was wondering if this is the best price in your opinion or if I wait I can get better in UK. I can see it has english support.I have created a JP account and linked in to my switch.Currently buying gift card from offgamers (i am having issues as prices are in usd and I want to pay in gbp)Was wondering if I can use revoult and pay directly in Yen to nintendo eshop.Thanks

Hi mate. 30 is decent for digital I reckon, an eShop UK sale would likely be £33.29 but there's no guarantee when that will happen. Last time I used offgamers I'm pretty sure I paid in GBP but will have to check back. I'm also pretty sure the Japanese eShop won't accept any cards with a UK address but it might be worth trying just in case
    Edit.
    Here's the option to pay in GBP
    47330512-VcOef.jpg (edited)
    Author
    maxi8204/05/2022 18:04

HI @pirate1 today i bite the bullet today and purchased using US eshop. …HI @pirate1 today i bite the bullet today and purchased using US eshop. Bought gift cards from offgamers and used your tutorial to download it, used a new account rather using my main UK account. Costed me 48£ and i think its the best price i can getThanks for your help. Can I download any DLC (fighter pass) on this or should DLC must be US ones too.Thanks again.one more thing i want to add, if you are struggling to remember all your passwords then you can use bitwarden to store all your passwords. I have been using that too for password management (free of cost and cloud based).

Hi
    Glad you got it sorted, I was going to suggest the Hong Kong eShop or maybe a physical copy but sounds like you've already purchased. The other thing I was looking at just now was Amazon US were selling $50 eShop credit for $45 so maybe look into that for future purchases.

Cheers for the heads up on the password manager, I could definitely do with one of those

Edit:
    Here's the eShop Amazon credit
    amazon.com/50-eShop-Gift-Card/dp/B01M1VX5UJ?tag=dekudeals-20&pldnSite=1&dplnkId=bccad718-bc4d-4163-94a2-78e116beca07

Edit 2:
    The DLC may not be region locked, it's dependent on the game. I've not bought cross region DLC so am looking into it and will get back to you

Edit 3: I knew I'd seen it somewhere, have a read of this :
    'Got a copy of a Switch game from a different region and want to know if DLC from your region's eShop works or not? Or if English will be supported? Here's how you check.
    Most Switch games are compatible with DLC from every region, but some games are only compatible with DLC from the regions they're made for. This is valuable information, because often people will buy a game online and get a copy from another region than they live in or have their console set to, and in some places with no official Nintendo support, games from many regions are available for sale.

For example, if you buy a copy of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, you can buy the DLC for it on any region's eShop.

However, if you buy a copy of Splatoon 2, you can only buy the DLC for it from the region of the cartridge.

How do I check if DLC works?
    The way to check if it will work is very simple:

Highlight the software on the main menu.

Select Software Information, and then select Nintendo eShop.

Select your account for the eShop.

If it is compatible with DLC from your region, you will be taken to the eShop page for the game. If it is not compatible with DLC from your region, you will get Error Code: 2811-6003 with the message "Software currently unavailable." (edited)
    Author
    maxi8204/05/2022 18:55

Thanks for that it's very helpful.When I am trying to pay for Amazon eShop …Thanks for that it's very helpful.When I am trying to pay for Amazon eShop code I get the error. "The item is not avaibale for purchase due to geographical restrictions". Do I need to use VPN. I have already changed my region to us in Amazon settings.Also can I use revoult UK one with Amazon us.

You should be able to use Revolut, I have previously, but I think you need a US address for Amazon purchases. I'll just double check myself
    Yeah, you need a US address in your Amazon address book. I've managed this previously but I know some people have had issues buying this way

Edit:

On your UK account go to manage your content and devices, then preferences. Change content region to the US. Also use a tax free US state address (edited)
    I'm quite new to the switch world but so far the 3 or 4 games I've looked at have been cheaper to buy as a physical copy from Currys etc, is it just a case to keep an eye on games for offers from foreign sites?
    Author
    It depends what you're looking for. The general rule of thumb is to buy physical for 1st party games, they hold their value and are almost always more expensive digitally. There are 1st party sales, but only 33% off and even buying from another region doesn't make them much cheaper than physical. There are some exceptions, Zelda BotW is sometimes on sale in the US for around £25 digitally which is cheaper than physical by some margin. In that case it's worth considering against a used physical copy.

3rd party games do drop in price considerably, and some can be got from other regions for a fraction of the UK prices

eshop-prices.com/?cu…GBP is a good site to get an idea of some price differences.

Switch games do look expensive on the surface compared to other platforms, but the fact is that if you buy wisely you can often sell on the game for not much less than you bought it for a few years down the line (1st party that is).

As for digital, wait for a sale, and then check for the cheapest region that will accept your payment method (edited)
    If I want to buy games from the Brazilian eshop and use a gift card does that count as funds and do I have to use the exact amount up before I can switch back?
    Author
    Create a Brazilian account, that way you can keep funds in UK and Brazilian account. If you switch regions, you'll need to spend the total funds before you can change back to UK.
    There's no problem with having an extra account on your console (it just appears as another profile), you can have up to 8 and all accounts can play all games (edited)
    you seem to be in the know everything switch related. Quick question, if I buy a digital game from a different store say it’s £15, and the E-shop price is £40. When I redeem the game do I get the gold points based on the e-shop current price or the purchased code value? Thank you!
    Author
    If it's not from the eShop, you get the full RRP value back in gold coins (5% for everyone, 10% for NSO Expansion pack members).

That's regardless of how much you paid for it, it's full RRP if it's bought from outside of the eShop
    If I already have an online family membership can I just add the expansion pack?

Unless I'm missing something all I can see is that you have to buy it alongside a membership
    Author
    Yeah, you basically upgrade through Nintendo as there's no other way of buying from any other sellers currently
    Nice helpful guide
    Great work as always mate.
    HUKD needs to prepare a master thread where links to all these guides are provided. And then pin the thread at the top of Discussions. I am tired of people's laziness, not even bothering with a cursory search for stuff like buying from other regions, gaming / school laptops, buying from Europe, etc.
    Remove this comment.
    Great guide, thanks
    Author
    wingedvictory18/03/2021 17:02

Oh cool. I still prefer having an account set up per region to save the …Oh cool. I still prefer having an account set up per region to save the faff, but that’s good to know.

True, if you buy lots from a certain region it can be worth having an account there. Thing is, I've got about 5 Nintendo accounts and keeping up with the email addresses and passwords is a bit if a pain so I usually just region swap for EU.
    How did you get payment accepted in Mexico btw?
    Author
    Bure1123/11/2021 23:33

Just a quick one mate. If you change region on an account and buy a game, …Just a quick one mate. If you change region on an account and buy a game, is it still owned by your account when you switch back to the UK or do you need to swap back to the purchased region to redownload?

Yeah, it's still yours on your account. It's just the region has been changed for the purchase and it stays linked to your account (if you change regions, it's the same account as before). When you change back to the UK, there's no difference to the download to one having been bought from the UK.

With a separate account (eg US), the game is linked to that account but can still be played by all accounts on that console.

Edit. If you were to delete the game from your console, games purchased from your other accounts (eg US) would need to be downloaded using the same account as the purchase.

If you delete a game that you have bought from an EU region (including Russia and SA) you can re download as usual. However, if you've switched region to buy or redeem a code from a non EU region (eg US), you'd need to switch regions to re-download.

It sounds complicated, or I'm explaining it badly, but it's quite straightforward in reality. (edited)
    Great guide buddy.
    Super guide this mate, thanks a lot for preparing it, will be useful to loads of folks on here
    Author
    Barrons18/03/2021 15:14

so with estores like south africa, russia, japan - can you pay on all …so with estores like south africa, russia, japan - can you pay on all these with revolut or monzo or do you need to buy a eshop credit? or can you use a uk paypal account?ive only got an UK & U.S account set up at the moment nothing else on the switch.What stores would you recommending setting up accounts for? the top ones to do.

As I said in the other thread, EU accept UK cards and some accept PayPal.
    You don't need a separate account for those you can just change regions.
    The stores it's worth having a separate account in are US and Japan
    pirate118/03/2021 17:05

True, if you buy lots from a certain region it can be worth having an …True, if you buy lots from a certain region it can be worth having an account there. Thing is, I've got about 5 Nintendo accounts and keeping up with the email addresses and passwords is a bit if a pain so I usually just region swap for EU. How did you get payment accepted in Mexico btw?

I eventually got it to work with a US PayPal account I setup but it took a number of attempts!
    pirate118/03/2021 17:05

True, if you buy lots from a certain region it can be worth having an …True, if you buy lots from a certain region it can be worth having an account there. Thing is, I've got about 5 Nintendo accounts and keeping up with the email addresses and passwords is a bit if a pain so I usually just region swap for EU. How did you get payment accepted in Mexico btw?

Hi Pirate1 and thanks for the guide!

Maybe a stupid question but can I ask you if you need a different email for each account? (edited)
    Author
    darpalu24/03/2021 18:07

Hi Pirate1 and thanks for the guide!Maybe a stupid question but can I ask …Hi Pirate1 and thanks for the guide!Maybe a stupid question but can I ask you if you need a different email for each account?

You do, yeah. What I've done is use the Gmail dot thing (yourusual.email@gmail.com) and that works fine
    Just managed to buy Mario+Rabbids Gold on the US store at a bargain price, thanks for the help
    Thanks, just purchased Final Fantasy XII from the Russian store
    Author
    Eotris27/04/2021 15:20

Thanks for the guide. If I am reading it correctly - you can use the same …Thanks for the guide. If I am reading it correctly - you can use the same Nintendo account to switch between EU eshops, but you would lose any eshop credit balance when switching between regions? To avoid this, you can create separate accounts for each country’s eshop to retain your credit balance in each region?

Yes, that's correct.
    Just to clarify, it doesn't matter which method you use, either works fine, it's more about which suits your usage.
    For me, I already have 2 UK accounts, a US account and a Japanese account and it gets complicated at times managing all of the log in details just for those. Therefore, for EU regions I switch regions (as I never keep credit in my account).
    For someone who keeps credit in their account(s), the only feasible method is to create an account for each region. (edited)
    Many thanks
    Author
    dragonmike01/05/2021 11:57

Hi, I haven't done this yet but how does it affect the other accounts on …Hi, I haven't done this yet but how does it affect the other accounts on the switch? What I mean is any games owned by the main account can be played by other accounts on the same switch but games that are owned by other users who has their main account on another switch can only be played using their account. Would it affect game sharing? Would switching regions mean that it is a different account? Would having a separate account mean only that account can play the game?

Hi.
    There's a few answers to this. Firstly, if you switch regions you are still using the same account, even after switching back to UK the game will be playable as before (any user on that console, or any user on a console with that account).

If you're opening a new account to buy from another region, the games downloaded on that account can be played by all users on that console also, and on any console with that account logged in.

I'm not sure if that's answered your questions or not, let me know if that's not clear.

Edit.
    Maybe give an example of what you want to buy, and what you hope to be able to do once bought (edited)
    Author
    misstiger0027/06/2021 19:44

Error Code: 9001-1675The country/region set for your Nintendo Account is …Error Code: 9001-1675The country/region set for your Nintendo Account is different from that of the page you have just been looking at.Please go back and make sure that the page displayed is set to the same country/region as that of your Nintendo Account, then try making the purchase again.

Have you followed the guide correctly ?
    If so, when you go to this page nintendo.ru/-/Nintendo-Switch/Mario-Rabbids--1233954.html?nsuid=70010000000818
    you should be able to buy the game

Edit. You may need to refresh the page (edited)
    Just bought my first game from the Russian store, can't believe how easy it is, much more than XBOX.

Good job too, Switch games hold there value for sure!
    Author
    Bure1109/01/2022 16:25

Hi. Just a quick clarification please If I change from UK to any other …Hi. Just a quick clarification please If I change from UK to any other store in the EU (say Russia). Will I lose any gold coins or will they stay but only be available in the UK?

The coins don't get lost, they stay in the region you gained them and can be used in the region you gained them. (edited)
    Really good guide! It's been so useful. I've been trying to buy US eshop credit from pcgamesupply so I can get discounted Street fighter but they can't verify my phone number 😔 any suggestions? The Japanese version is cheaper but I think the text is all in Japanese.
    Author
    david051320/03/2022 17:36

Really good guide! It's been so useful. I've been trying to buy US eshop …Really good guide! It's been so useful. I've been trying to buy US eshop credit from pcgamesupply so I can get discounted Street fighter but they can't verify my phone number ? any suggestions? The Japanese version is cheaper but I think the text is all in Japanese.

Could try Play Asia, they sell US credit. As do CDkeys
    cdkeys.com/nintendo/eshop-topup-cards/nintendo-eshop-card-10-usd

Edit.
    According to the Japanese site, it does have English language support:
    store-jp.nintendo.com/lis…tml (edited)
    pirate120/03/2022 17:38

Could try Play Asia, they sell US credit. As do …Could try Play Asia, they sell US credit. As do CDkeyscdkeys.com/nintendo/eshop-topup-cards/nintendo-eshop-card-10-usdEdit. According to the Japanese site, it does have English language support:https://store-jp.nintendo.com/list/software/70010000010675.html

Ah, I've just got it via playasia.

Never mind, thanks so much for the support!
    47118127-bX6Sy.jpg

pirate120/03/2022 17:38

Could try Play Asia, they sell US credit. As do …Could try Play Asia, they sell US credit. As do CDkeyscdkeys.com/nintendo/eshop-topup-cards/nintendo-eshop-card-10-usdEdit. According to the Japanese site, it does have English language support:https://store-jp.nintendo.com/list/software/70010000010675.html

There was some stuff online about the Japanese version having characters named differently. I'm willing to pay a few extra quid for a dive in familiar street fighter nostalgia (edited)
    Author
    maxi8203/05/2022 14:52

HI @pirate1,would you know (by your experience) if I can get 'Super smash …HI @pirate1,would you know (by your experience) if I can get 'Super smash bros ultimate' cheap in digital format. I am happy to pay around £40. Currently, its on korean eshop but i am unable to switch region due to stringent verification steps. Was wondering if it comes on usa / japan eshops for this price or any sites like cdkeysThanks

Hi. I've not seen it that cheap from CD Keys, physical you can sometimes get it for around that but it's never had an eShop sale yet. I'll keep my eyes open for you as sometimes US retailers have it on sale
    pirate103/05/2022 14:57

Hi. I've not seen it that cheap from CD Keys, physical you can sometimes …Hi. I've not seen it that cheap from CD Keys, physical you can sometimes get it for around that but it's never had an eShop sale yet. I'll keep my eyes open for you as sometimes US retailers have it on sale

HI @pirate1 today i bite the bullet today and purchased using US eshop.

Bought gift cards from offgamers and used your tutorial to download it, used a new account rather using my main UK account.

Costed me 48£ and i think its the best price i can get

Thanks for your help.

Can I download any DLC (fighter pass) on this or should DLC must be US ones too.
    Thanks again.

one more thing i want to add, if you are struggling to remember all your passwords then you can use bitwarden to store all your passwords. I have been using that too for password management (free of cost and cloud based). (edited)
    Author
    Smash Bros. $43.99 at Amazon US (£36)
    amazon.com/Sup…8-2 (edited)
    Author
    maxi8213/05/2022 14:50

hi @pirate1 what do you suggest for Mario Strikers and Splatoon 3. Do you …hi @pirate1 what do you suggest for Mario Strikers and Splatoon 3. Do you think it would be any less than £39, when its released. I have seen a post which is around 39£ for Mario Striker.How do you buy new titles like strikers & splatoon. Do you wait for them to go cheaper etc?Thanks

Hi. For new 1st party games I almost always get physical, often Currys will have a code taking it down to £34.99. Hopefully that will be the case with those too, Argos sometimes get in on it too on release day. What usually happens is a retailer drops price to £39.99, then Currys match that but add a £5 off code too.
    Great guide. Real shame that we can't get Argentina to work.
    Author
    The only way I've been able to buy from Argentina is using gold coins from physical games. If you have some physical games that still have gold coins to claim you can redeem on an Argentinan account
    Just used this method to buy Mario & Sonic Olympic games for £17 which is an amazing discount.

Wasn't the easiest with it being in Japanese but the guide is excellent and it's being downloaded as we speak

Can't say I've learnt any Japanese but maybe next time.

Thank you ,shame I can't give you any Heat but this would be at the top.
    Worked perfectly, incredible price. Thank you!
's avatar