Posted 31 May 2023

Need a new Mobile SIM contract with 3-Way Calling / Merge Calls ?

EDIT: iD Mobile do! 😁

Hi all!

With the coming end of Plusnet Mobile, I've really been left up a certain creek without a paddle!

I often have to help my elderly, and now disabled, parents on the other side of the country to make telephone calls for which I have been reliant upon 3-Way Calling.

So, I now desperately need to find an affordable UK mobile network and contract that support 3-Way Calling / Merge Calls within the call allowance?

What I know so far-

• EE don't (only "Group Calls", but I can't afford their prices anyway.)
  • iD Mobile don't.
  • TalkMobile don't.
  • Lebara (I think) don't.
  • O2 (maybe) do. (I'm really reticent to sign up to a 12month contract though and they're not cheap and have other limitations, plus my wife had a really grim experience with them recently which has put me off of ever using them again)

So, ideally I'm looking for-

• 3-Way Calling / Merge Calls included in call allowance
  • 1-month rolling SIM only (but I will stretch to 12months if the contract is okay)
  • Reasonable 4G network coverage (preferably not on the Vodafone network)
  • About 5GB/month minimum data (or lower with data rolling)
  • Unlimited texts/calls
  • Smart Cap / Spending Cap
  • Preferably the option to text short codes and premium numbers (e.g. Eurovision votes etc - I very rarely do this but it would be useful.)
  • Preferably £10/month or less

Anyone have any ideas? Or at least know any more operators which do / don't support inclusive-calls calling merging to save me trying to find out?

- Julie

PS I appreciate there are other "conference call" type systems out there, but unfortunately they are unlikely to be applicable for me; for instance, I frequently can need to remain on the line during a call with my parents but then have another family member call me and then I need to be able to add them in to the call, and so on.
Community Updates
New Comment

15 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I.D mobile definitely do 3 way calling. I've used it when I needed my wife to confirm details to a company before they'd speak to me.
    Just merged a call with my Dentist and HM revenue (just because I knew both wouldn't answer now).50285967-nniqa.jpg (edited)
    Lebara dont do it.....tested.
    I have activated 3 way calling on Lebara so it is definitely supported. But you do need to activate it.
    Observation:
    PN is an MVNO of EE, so if EE is generally assumed to be too expensive then maybe look at the other MVNOs of EE first.
    So maybe BTmobile, RWG, NowMobile, Ecotalk, 1pmobile, Vectone Mobile, etc.
    Author
    That's a good idea. Even though EE don't support it on their own contracts, clearly the underlying network can, so I will have a look around at those.
    Must ne missing something but I thought you could do this on any android.

I have a Samsung handset...dial the number then when connected press "+" add call and dual the next number

Ahhh if I actually try do it you get a merge option and then it says unable to make conf calls. I'm on o2 (edited)
    Thank you for a nicely drafted post, especially the title. I was expecting SOMETHING vague, like "SIM", which has become normal these days. I am happy you found what you want. (edited)
    Just as an alternative idea, I'm sure WhatsApp and Telegram and probably other messaging apps will also allow conference calls -- and therefore, you won't have to be reliant on any particular network
    EE allowed 3-way calling as standard up until a few years ago. I remember after renewing in 2019, I lost the feature to merge calls. I called to find out why it wasn't working and the CS rep had to get permission from a manager to allow them to apply it to my account.

When my contract was up for renewal in early 2020, they failed to mention that I would lose the feature for good. I kicked up a fuss and raised a complaint but they wouldn't budge. A birdie told me call merging was no longer supported as it was abused by people for fraudulent purposes. I escalated my complaint to the ombudsman who ruled in EE's favour
    Lebara do.

I can activate conference calls by texting CONF to 38885---this replied 'Congratulations, your call conferencing service has been successfully enabled and it is free of charge for you. Lebara always by your side !'
's avatar