Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 27 March 2024

How can I safely move a fridge from house to garage

Hello,

I need to move a fridge freezer from house to garage. I need to move it from the back door through the patio to the side door of the garage. There is a step down going out of the house and then going up into the side door of the garage. Any advice from delivery men/ movers to help do that without breaking my back and/ or fridge is appreciated. I'd also like to have recommendations about a heavy duty trolley to move the fridge once out on the patio. Thank you.

Is this any good?

screwfix.com/p/m…02P?
Community Updates
New Comment

17 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Gaffer the doors shut (don't leave tape on for more than needed) And 2 people with work gloves is all you need.
    They aren't that heavy just awkward.... The one one the bottom will have a ledge to grip - the top one can easily hold the edges.
    Wrestle it outside vertically just incase the condensation tray is full of water and badabing.
    Remove everything - sounds obvious, but... Shelves too.
    I've got that Screwfix one (or something very similar to it), and it did the job with my fridge. A couple extra things I'd suggest would be to use some rachet straps to secure the fridge (and its doors) to the truck, and,
    when you're loading the fridge, keep the compressor side (which is usually the heaviest) facing in to the truck.

Should add as well, while I'm not a deliveryman/mover, I am a manual handling trainer, and I would really appreciate if you read through this guide to the TILE method before beginning the work.
    What truck?

I need to move a fridge freezer from house to garage. I need to move it from the back door through the patio to the side door of the garage.
    (edited)
    Much as I hate when people go off piste and answer a question that hasn’t been asked - I’m gonna do just that. You just storing it there or planning to actually plug it in and use it in there? Just be aware in cold weather it may get too cold for the fridge freezer to operate and it won’t work.
    Author
    Storing it.
    6 wheel sack truck,
    or
    2 bodies and a long loop that goes from one to the other, via the underside of the unit. Then your body is doing the lifting while your hands support it. Go to a building site and scrounge some of the one use straps. They offer have a limit of a few tonnes, so it should do for you (edited)
    You can usually hire one for £10-15 for the day or probably even less for a 4hr period etc
    Careful when you PIVOT
    Author
    The biggest issue is how to make it past the raised step from the house to the patio. Especially that it'll be tight.
    At the risk of sounding like a line from the classic Right Said Fred by Bernard Cribbins, doors easily remove from fridges that may help in your endeavours. 
's avatar