Posted 2 days ago

In-Car HUD

As the speed limit on the road keeps changing, wanting to buy a HUD to remind me of the speed I am driving. Is there one can detect the road speed limit and make alert if I am over the speed limit? Basically just like maps on the phone, but to use it every time driving is very inconvenient. Any recommendation? Those that I find show only the speed.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

27 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    remind me of the speed I am driving

so like the speedo that's already infront of you?
    Eyes on road - observe speed limit signs. Eyes on speedometer.

Not reliant on updates to sat nav etc
    My car has the absolute best possible speed checker, its called your eyes combined with a speedometer, you should try it, means you will never get caught speeding !!!!
    "remind me of the speed I am driving. " Thats why they invented a speedometer designed for your car.
    Yer it's a strange question what the op is asking, if they have passed their test then they should be able to drive properly to the speed limit, I can only imagine the future speed tickets stacking up lol. (edited)
    Well I always remember the speed limit on the road that I entered the filling station from, therefore it would be logical to assume that it is the same when you leave, unless there is a sign at the exit that says otherwise, maybe an appointment at a well advertised opticians would help.
    Author
    Lol, like mentioned, there are so many 20mph roads nowadays. I do try to keep my eyes on the speedometer but 20mph sometimes are very difficult to stick to. With extra help, I think it's easier to stick to. Not that I don't know the speed limit.
    But anyway, if there is no such thing, then nothing can be done. I just don't want to speed, not even by a little. I never have any problem with 30mph roads (or above).
    I've seen things like a mirror that reflects your phone screen.
    My mate got HUD on his M4 it's class, but can't remember if it shows you speeds of the road unless your running the sat nav
    i will be surprised if anything exists that can do what you are asking. Never been aware of one that would monitor and update the road speeds in real time.
    Google maps can do this but I'm not sure if it gives an audible alert. It certainly gives a visual alert. Try it.

groovypost.com/how…ps/
    Author
    Thank you, I know the Google map can do that, but just have to turn it on every time send tedious and it occupy the phone.
    Any other suggestions that can alter me if I go over the speed?
    Use Apple CarPlay/Android Auto? If your car doesn’t support it, install a new head unit that does.

That way, it’s as simple as connecting your phone when you get in the car (some will even do it wirelessly) and Google Maps can automatically appear on your car’s screen with speed data. No need to set a route, and no need for it to be full screen either so you can have something else alongside it like your music player for example.

Unless your car has a HUD built in, anything aftermarket you install will deliver a pretty crappy experience honestly.
    My Nextbase Dashcam shows the speed I am doing, it gets it from the GPS in it.
    No alerts though.
    Hubby got an android app you can use as a HUD (£3 per year I think) that does what you want. Shows your speed and the speed limit with sound alerts if wanted. Thinks it's just called HUD Speed Limits. (edited)
    My car has Oem HUD which also shows the limit of the road on it as well as current speed but no alerts. I find it works okay just being able to see the limit but one of the biggest things I have to point out is

The speed limit isn't always right, especially if travelling through roadworks etc. I'm fortunate enough to have a car which has a built in camera behind the rear view mirror which scans the roads continuously for speed signs and adjusts the GPS based speed limit it detects, even then I find it can be wrong sometimes
    I'm fortunate enough to have a car which has a built in camera behind the rear view mirror which scans the roads continuously for speed signs and adjusts the GPS based speed limit it detects, even then I find it can be wrong sometimes
    Yeah, my Hyundai is similar. I've turned off the camera based sign recognition altogether and just use the GPS one and update my maps twice a year to try and keep it as up-to-date as I can.

When using the camera, I have had it misread dirty 60 signs for 80 before. Surprised they didn't program the car to know that there's no such thing as an 80 sign in the UK! But it's a real problem if using Highway Drive Assist because it goes into partial self driving mode, setting the smart cruise control automatically to follow speed limits. Not great when you're about to pass a speed camera and the car decides to try and speed itself up to 80mph.
    Surely if you have passed your driving test you should be qualified to drive and keep eyes on road and read the road signs?
's avatar