Posted 7 December 2023

In Home Displays for Smart Meter

Hi Guys ,

Just after a little advice please regarding my In Home Display unit linked to my smart meter.

Like probably most people this time of year, im trying to manage my gas/electric useage each month so that the costs don’t get ridiculous and remain affordable.

I was previously with SSE and was ported over to OVO in January this year.

Around March time my in home display unit started freezing up, turning off and generally not working very well.

I spoke with OVO who said no problem they would order me a replacement.

After several months one had not been received so I chased it up around June and was told due to the rise of demand of people wanting these (due to the high rise of energy costs) they had been out of stock for a long time and were simply on back order.

After almost 9 months I rang them today and explained the need for me to want to see what I’m using each day hence the need for a new in home display - the response was the same !

I have been told my smart meter is generation 1 and as a result the in home display units remain out of stock and there is no timeframe as to when they will come back - they offered me £20 credit on my account for the frustrations.

My arguement was they don’t want me to see what I’m spending and they just want to continue to basically rip off the consumer.

Has anyone else heard of this issue with in home display units and is there any way around this to get one as I feel it’s really poor that at the most expensive time of year you are unable to see what your spending??

The advice from the agent at OVO was you could download the app as it’s linked to your smart meter and see your previous days useage or alternatively move provider !!!

Any help or advice is welcomed please.
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    My in-house display has never worked properly, but all it ever did was tell me what I already knew - if I switch off a light then my usage goes down, if I switch on a light then my usage goes up. I don't need a display to tell me that.
    No idea. But you can get "Bright" app to check the usage.
    If you can get a better deal then move provider.
    Move to octopus tracker tariff once joined
    Try the LOOP app.
    Others are available
    Hugo is a great app to look at usage!
's avatar