Posted 14 May 2024

iPad Battery Replacement?

Following the major price hikes on the new iPad's, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a battery replacement service? I have an original 2015 12.9 iPad Pro, which is still on it's original battery (9 years old!) and it is poor at best. However, given that the modern day equivalent would be over £1200, I figured that putting 1/10th of that into a new battery would go a long way into something that is primarily a YouTube viewing device.

Unfortunately, I have tried the Apple Store already and was told that it is obsolete technology and they could not help me with a replacement. Looking online, there are a couple of places I have seen:

thegadgetclinic.co.uk/pro…nt/
simplyfixit.co.uk/sho…-2/
ebay.co.uk/itm…835

But given the nature, I would rather not cheap out and pay extra for a premium and reliable service. Can anyone recommend any of these services? Or, have any other that they have used?

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    The last time I looked at this sort of stuff I found it best to ask on my local facebook pages.

You will have somewhere on your doorstep that will do it for half the money of any national & probably do a better job too because their reputation is on the line.

There are 2 local people to me that work for themselves that do this stuff all day long & everyone just gets referred to them & I haven't read a bad comment yet. I am sure if you asked the question you would find someone suitable that you can put your trust in.

The time I asked hundreds of people living on my doorstep (some of whom I have known for years) were all giving the same 2 names.
    Agree with this we got a new phone screen/battery done at half the price samsung wanted and didn't have to reset the phone which I'm guessing samsung would of wanted to do
    There is life beyond facebook If you are able pop into your local nearest largish high street area and I bet you will find a local independent phone repairers, who do tablets also and can swap out old for new batteries whilst you wait. Before handing your ipad over to them, ask for a quote on cost and length of time. And if your high street has more than one repairer shop around. I would be surprised if you were asked to pay more than £30
    Author
    Thanks for the idea guys, what a good idea to ask around locally. In terms of friends and family, I do have an extended family member who does do general mobile replacements, so I may ask him for a quote in doing so.

Thanks again
    You'll probably find the third party battery will crap out on you sooner than hoped for. The Apple official batteries are great and my iPad 4 still holds its charge very well but is next to useless as hardly any app works on it. I just use it for emails and facetime.

I'd seriously think about getting a new one even if it's a cheaper model as you'll have the security updates and latest apps as well. You can use Amazon Prime to pay monthly I think interest free. That's what I'm going to do when my iPad battery fails. (edited)
    Author
    Well mine has definitely failed - or at least I thought it did?

It started just turning itself off and displaying the red dead and empty battery logo, but then would turn on again after a few minutes before repeating. However, after leaving it in a drawer for god knows how long, it now just seems to work again?
    I am currently just leaving a YouTube video playing to see how long it lasts before it craps itself again, but the battery status shows over 1500 cycles and approximately 75% remaining capacity. Ideally, I would like to try a software update or even a restore on it, but not sure if I want to risk it dying mid-update and effectively bricking it. It is currently on 16.3
's avatar