Posted 23 January 2024

Leaving OVO Energy

My in-laws have moved to Octopus on 20.01.2024 from Ovo Energy.

They currently have a direct debit with Ovo and I wonder if they should cancel this to stop Ovo taking any more money or should they leave it for the refund at the end? I am inclined to cancel the direct debit.
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Cancel the DD. Don't worry if in-laws still owe them money they will soon get in touch!
    Over the years, I have been guided by the adage my father taught me "Yer money is the last thing yer part with"
    Personally. I'd cancel it, then ask for the switch date (it should be on their octopus account). Get the readings from that and then request a final bill from Ovo and pay over the phone/their website rather than a DD.

I'd hate to have 2 fixed DD's come out. Possibly for the same amounts when I know one can just be a final bill of what I owe and no fuss and delays waiting on a refund if I'm due one.
    Author
    yeah, we continued to pay scottish power when we closed the account and they wouldn't close the account and the direct debit just kept adding up to over £600 as the property was empty. don't want to do that again. my in laws are in credit of £70 so i thought it may be easier to keep the direct debit so they can get the refund easier. otherwise, i am guessing the refund will be sent by cheque?

they have a direct debit coming up at the end of the month for £161 so this would make the credit quite large.

on the Ovo account, it said they have stopped being the supplier on 19.01.2024 (edited)
    Cancel it.
    By the looks of it, I'd take a diiferent approach to everyone else.

I'd leave the DD active, yes there might be two payments in the month, but anything overpaid will just get refunded.

To me that is far less hassle, but appreciate if you don't have the funds available for that it would swing the decision into cancelling it.
's avatar