Posted 11 January 2024

Laptop for daughter?

I'm looking to buy a laptop for my daughter for general use. This looks like a good deal to me, what do you guys think?

laptopoutlet.co.uk/len…tml

or

currys.co.uk/pro…tml
Community Updates
New Comment

55 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Wouldn't recommend this model, big issues with the Hinges breaking.
    The Lenovo has a 11th gen processor and 8GB soldered RAM. Not a terrible deal but the Dell Inspiron deal available right now seems slightly better for a lot less money. (edited)
    Or the Galaxy Book2 Pro refurb (might have gone out of stock or ended though). The soldered RAM is a big sticking point and this seems to be positioned lower than a similar-sized ThinkPad X series. 
    If it is general use, i.e. browsing the net, homework, etc personally I would steer towards refurbed business laptops. Dead cheap, easy to upgrade if necessary (you usually don't need to) and robust. Especially the Lenovos are one of my favourite.
    Check this seller on eBay, they've had many recommendations on this site as well
    ebay.co.uk/str/thebestlaptopdealsaround?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=9XunUt5sRJK&sssrc=3418065&ssuid=nYExhJIfRTy&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Let me know if you need some help choosing one. If have bought 4 from them over the years and even with some abuse they are still running fine (edited)
    I could do with some help choosing one please
    Try any Chromebook Plus. Doesn't sound impressive on hardware and specifications. They are factually very fluid, fast and comfortable to use, noise free. If it is about homework, researches or other student stuff without heavy gaming. Won't be out of date for 10 years of free support.
    I heard HP stands for hinge problem.
    Isn't this a better deal, more storage bigger screen

ao.com/product/x1500eabq2182w-asus-vivobook-15-laptop-black-95384-251.aspx?ef_id=Cj0KCQiAwP6sBhDAARIsAPfK_wZWqdA4FTqd7wrVJdquFt1qj3_9R_jkhYwE7JCc8fiaEboLTaEHjdkaAh66EALw_wcB:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!8149!3!!!!x!!&&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=shopping%20-%20ce%20-%20laptops%20-%20performance%20max%7Cshopping%20-%20ce%20-%20laptops%20-%20performance%20max&utm_term=smartshopping%7CX1500EA-BQ2182W&utm_content=%7Cpaidpla&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwP6sBhDAARIsAPfK_wZWqdA4FTqd7wrVJdquFt1qj3_9R_jkhYwE7JCc8fiaEboLTaEHjdkaAh66EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds (edited)
    This screen is higher resolution and 16:10, which some prefer.
    The Currys one is miles better here. The processor is much stronger and it has more RAM and storage. It also has a larger screen, although it's slightly lower res and 16:9.
    Which one?
    Find out what they need it for first. People often jump for options before they list what their needs are. If it's battery life stay away from refurb as you don't know how long they will last. Of it's just browsing and school work see what the school uses she may only need a Chromebook. If you get a Chromebook plus they have up to 12 hour battery life with 8.years of updates and security. For me I have a decent windows machine but most of the time I prefer my Chromebook, it does what I need and the battery is much better than windows. (edited)
    Same. Super-duper windows but Chromebooks are getting 90% of attention. Now I'm not sure why do I need desktop and win high spec laptops. Noisy, hot, full of bugs, glitches, viruses and so on
    Has anybody bought their teenager a laptop for college use (also to use for future use if going to a University)? My son is in his first year doing 'A' levels in Maths, Psychology and English Literature and later might go on to study Law/Psychology/English at University. I'm not in a financial position to buy a top of the range/latest model, etc, but could stretch to a few hundred pounds (don't mind a refurbished one either) - just wondering what other peoples's teenagers are using whilst at college, etc? Thank you.
    The new Dell Inspiron laptop posted here a couple to days is a decent price for a new laptop with a resonably decent spec....there are a few other deals available as spins off this if you search for Dell Inspiron. Thats around £299 or less with a code..

hotukdeals.com/dea…537

Alternatively a refurbished business machine like a Dell or Lenovo as say above can be really good buys 2nd hand. Have a look at my post on this link about buying a 2nd hand Dell Latitude 7490 or 7400 business laptop....

hotukdeals.com/dis…859

(I'm not pushing Dell over Lenovo's ...its just where most of my personal experience has been)

NB A lot of business machines tend to have 14" screens for portability...measured diagonally.....you may want to decide if you want a 14" screen or the more traditional 15.6" older laptop size. This will simplify your choice.

If you do buy a refurbished laptop ...only buy one where the seller will tell you exactly what the battery health is like via a screen shot. You dont need the extra expense of buying a battery. There are normally lots of ex business machines available....so plenty of choice on ebay etc.

If you need any specific advice if you see something ...feel free to pm me
    I've owned that Lenovo for 2+ years now and it's solid! 8GB RAM isn't an issue, it's plenty fast. Mine had a few issues with keyboard/trackpad being faulty but think I just got unlucky. Still love the laptop and use it everyday.
    Lenovo L320. Trackpad was/ is faulty from new. Warranty claim was laughable, they wanted to replace it with 2 y.o. refurb laptop. Using with mouse now. Regularly overheating.
    Another dodgy product: Lenovo desktop. Faulty built in graphics. Switching screen off when too warm. Faulty from new.
    Had faulty Lenovo smartphone too from new.
    I draw conclusions. No Lenovo ever
's avatar