Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 8 hours ago

Microsoft Excel buffs question

Hi

I need to create an excel worksheet for UK dietary reference values into one single table.

I found a PDF verson (see link below) but when I copy and paste the table contents form the PDF into excel it doesn't come out in a table format,

Can someone please advise how I can get this table of values into excel please?

Thanks

Main heading (publishing.service.gov.uk)

4302925_1.jpg

4302925_1.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    smallpdf.com/pdf…ord

This site converts a PDF into a Word document, you can then copy and paste the table you want from Word into Excel.

It' s not perfect though, always check the formatting. In this example it's split the bottom row of the table into two rows and has done the classic excel thing of wrongly assuming a number is a date in the column headers. (edited)
    Author
    Many thanks, that seems to have done the trick
    [deleted]
    Author
    I tried that, there were only two options, neither worked
    I'm not familiar with the latest version of excel but there should be a paste option that lets you define separators/delimiters. In Libre Office Calc it's under Paste Special > Paste Unformatted Text (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+V, which may be the same in excel).

That'll let you tell the spreadsheet app to put blocks of characters separated by spaces into different cells.

For the row titles that have spaces you'd either have to copy and paste them separately or you may be able to dump it into a text file first and put quotation marks around them to stop the spreadsheet program from separating them.
    If you have more tables you'd like to retrieve from the same document, the 'Get data' tool/Power Query is good for that.

Data >> Get Data >> From File >> From PDF
    or
    Data >> Get Data >> From Other Sources >> From Web

Alternative to the used solution; convert and copy, you can open the PDF as a Word file and it will convert the document, then you can copy and paste.
    Author
    Yeah thanks I tried this and could not get it to work properly, thanks for the advice anyway much appreciated
    You need Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.

I have converted the document for you. Here you go :
    transfernow.net/dl/…8Al

You can use this to convert for free if you do not Adobe Acrobat pro DC
    adobe.com/uk/…tml (edited)
    Author
    Thanks, just finished creating a single table, but will keep your files and use your advice for future needs, much appreciated.
's avatar