Posted 18 hours ago

Mobile Internet To Laptop Whilst Travelling in the UK

Looking for best & cheapest way for internet to a laptop whilst travelling on trains across UK. Trains do provide WiFi, but it is quite unreliable. Would my own mobile internet be better? If so, I also don't want to use up my mobile battery as I pay a lot for my phone, would a Mi-fi with separate battery from my phone be better? Or could I just use an old phone with hotspot? I often have power source provided by train company. I use one SIM for calls & internet, but should I be looking for separate SIMS for each? Thanks for any help
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Wow, you are making it over complicated.
    Use your phone as a mobile hotspot.
    Or old phone and another sim.
    You stated the two options yourself.
    I keep 2 sims on the go and the wife has a third.
    Vodafone, 3 and EE.
    That covers us for just about everywhere we go.
    My cheap sim is Lebara, 99p or £1.99 for 6 months with 10 or 12gb data.
    I order a new sim every 6 months, to my mum, dad, me.
    Then go around again.
    Some old tat Android mobile that's not seen the light outside your kitchen drawer for ages,
    coupled to your perception of best network coverage / preferred best deal, but maybe ideally different to your primary mobile network.
    Phone (or mifi) can be powered by laptop if necessary,
    plus the convenience of having a secondary comms device may be more appealing than one-function mifi.

Base comparison for cheapest cellular deals likely against the short-term xx-months promos to the throwaway / rinse & repeat Lebara sims, where Lebara = Voda.
    UK has terrible mobile internet coverage compared to the rest of the world
    Tether by USB so your phone stays charged
    Buy a power bank & get a dual sim phone
    A lot of trains are basically faraday cages. So depending upon what you're on, you may well be better off using the onboard WiFi which has external antennas to get a better signal. Train WiFi in my experience will remain connected in a tunnel but mobile data won't as another example.

If you want to use mobile data though, just make sure your phone is on a network with good rural coverage and then tether with that. Use USB if worried about battery life. Or if you're really against using your phone just get a USB Modem dongle.
    The train provided wifi is also using a mobile connection to connect. You are not going to get a much better experience using your own device unless the train wifi is already overloaded.
    I find my own mobile hotspot better on train than train WiFi usually as they often nerf your speeds on train WiFi to browsing only.
's avatar