Posted 16 hours ago

Most convenient value data sim for occasional trips to Spain/EU?

I have a trip to Spain lined up at the end of the month. Im a bit confused about the data options. Im with Vodafone but they charge for roaming. Last time around I spent £10 for a 30 day 12 GB data sim from 3 mobile. It connected without a problem with absolute ease.

I will be working from abroad so may need to tether my laptop so I may get through 12GB quite quickly. I know Lebara has a £1/month sim but I understand their customer service isnt the best and although its cheap it seems you have to set the data access points.

I'm not looking for the cheapest deal but I would like the most convenient deal. I just want to be able to pop in the sim and not have to worry about registering it etc.

Ideally, Id like a sim that covers longer than just 30 days. I tend to travel a few times a year into the EU so a sim that has 12-24 months coverage that I can just top up would be ideal. That way I just activate the sim when i need to travel.

I have an iPhone with an eSim as standard. The data sim can then occupy the actual sim tray and I'd activate it when travelling.

So again, Im not looing for the cheapest but I am looing for value and convenience. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I remember using Lebara before and there was no issue, easy to cancel as well from memory. Turn of auto renew in the app.

I've also had a high data sim from Spain (vodafone) for around 10-20e a month, on a pay as you go style. I was in Ibiza for 6 weeks, so between using Vodafone and local cafe wifi, I was able to work, download content for later binge watching etc. (edited)
    Why not get a local SIM from Spain?
    FYI
    kenstechtips.com/ind…ing

Personally would pick Lebara. Their app is easy to use.

spusu is not on the list, worth a try.
    While in Spain I was getting through 500mb per day minimum just for work. Add personal streaming on top, could be a couple of Gb per day. Though with 80% of Spain having real fibre to the premises, you should be good on WiFi most of the time. Even so, when the fibre failed due to a storm I went out and bought a local 40Gb SIM. You need to present your passport, so go to a bona fire electronics dealer if you can find one so that the SIM can be instantly activated.
    I've used lebara pre paid sims a few times without issue..... until the last 4 I received, not one of them would register to the network, customer service told me to put sim in a phone and dial 5588....... err, I can't call anything if the sim won't connect to the bloody network. Painful
    If you get a local SIM you get something like 40-50GB data for €10, any of the networks there will pretty much do (Movistar, Vodafone Spain, Orange Spain or Yoigo). Anything you buy here will have a roaming limit.

You can still get the Three PAYG SIM you mention but it'll be capped at 12GB. And get off the profiteers when you can, just get a UK plan that includes roaming and avoid this every trip...
's avatar