Posted 18 May 2024

Natwest ending free malwarebyte subscription; what alternatives are there?

natwest.com/fra…tml

Subscription will be ending at the end of this month. What alternatives that are free should I use next?
Community Updates
New Comment

22 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    The free version? Main difference is that you manually schedule scans rather than it possibly being set up to scan automatically.

Or a different OS?
    You are right.
    I was wrong last time when it was mentioned elsewhere.
    It is still FREE basically but one has to scan manually (periodically) and oh, boy it takes such a loonnggg time to scan, obviously dependant on your storage.
    Windows built in one is more than enough. The need for a 3rd party virus software died long before John McAfee died.
    Common sense is the best anti-virus.

Install ad blockers and you'll be fine. I have lots of older family with laptops and desktops who have been infection-free for years.

Don't download random and open random files from untrustworthy sources.
    Yes to common sense.

There's always a caveat about being infection free. It's more a case of no known infection or compromise.
    Windows Defender, which comes included with Windows as standard. Couple that with the usual tactics of avoiding dodgy software, leaving automatic updates enabled, and having ublock installed on your browser, and you'll generally be safe. Microsoft have significantly improved their security game in recent years, so you generally don't really need third-party antimalware anymore.

That said, to be extra secure, it's worth repurposing an old laptop or the like as a dedicated online banking / online shopping system. I use Linux Mint on my old laptop for it, and since all it does is run Firefox and only then for a handful of trustworthy websites, it's a lot more secure than doing secure stuff on a general-purpose computer, which may have who-knows-what malware hidden away, waiting to deploy at some unknowable future date.
    I agree

Between windows and googles chrome protection browsing in 15 years ive never had an anti virus or defender etc and never had a single issue, default built in protections are good enough now a days ling gone are the times since 1990s avg and mcafee times.
    They are offering 85% off paid subscriptions which works out to less than £8 if you go for the 2yr subscription - I'm gonna do that.

52769482-ayUTR.jpg
    Where do you even find this offer, I haven't received an email or notification or anything.
    Honestly just decided I'm going to probably uninstall it and go back to just Windows Defender as not convinced Malwarebytes has ever done anything for me anyway. Can always do manual scans on Malwarebytes otherwise on the free version.
    Does Windows Defender protect you when browsing the internet - been a while since I used it.

Malwarebytes does which is the only reason I'm going to take out the reduced price subscription.
    Avast (free).
    thanks. i saw my contract about to expire and wondered if i could resubscribe again via natwest.
    wonder if they'll offer another perk. otherwise that offer sounds good so long as remember to cancel before goes up in 2 years!
    What about on Android?
    I saw this email and forgot i even subscribed to it. Never used it
's avatar