Posted 1 day ago

Need a new tumble dryer

So I don't have much luck with kitchen appliances - this will be my 3rd tumble dryer in as many years!
Previously I used vented, however my current one that needs replacing is a Candy condenser.
I don't think I could be bothered with a heat pump version. Can someone recommend a condenser model (9 or 10Kg) that has either a door or top mounted water tank? (It appears to be a bit of a chore for the missus to empty the tank located in the bottom of the unit.)
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I recommend a Siemens or Bosch. Candy are notoriously unreliable.
    I suspect you are going to get a lot of similar answers and there's a reason for it. Heat pumps are the way forward. It seems a little daft (no offence) to be considering anything else these days. They cost a heck of a lot less to run compared to old style type dryers. There is a little more cost outlay compared to a condenser but you will get that back in no time.

When my condenser gives up the ghost there is no way I would buy another. Halving (or in some cases even bigger savings) my running costs is more than enough to get me on board.

Looking at ones with 5 years guarantee needs to be considered. Add the cost up of your 3 dryers and see what you could have bought for that price and still be going strong years after
    Under £500 with a 5 year warranty, so less than £2/week:

hotukdeals.com/dea…816
    i know you said no to a heat pump but we bought a cheap as chips heat pump one (candy about £320 iirc). so far 6 months in has been good as gold. dries a load in about 1hr 40, cheap to run, and door mounted tank. only thing we do is put 6 of those cotton dryer balls in it.
    Three is as many years.....I have a Miele which must be in it's 15th year. It is a heat pump and it costs pennies to run.
    Highly recommend heat pump, saved a fortune, house less humid. There's a reason it's used nearly everywhere in Germany
    We had a vented one, still worked but when I worked out the costs of running it we switched to a heat pump, paid for itself in 2 years just in savings and we got a 3 year warranty. There were 4 adults in the house at the time though so was used a few times a week.
    We have a 4 year old Indesit vented dryer in our garage and it replaced a 14 year old one that was still running but too small. Paid around £140 for it on eBay 20% off promo. Can't use heat pump type in unheated out buildings in winter. Having said that with current energy prices there is now a good chance of the more expensive heat pump type paying for themselves .
    I currently use a 20 year old White Knight vented dryer that runs at 1.4kwh and will dry a load in under 90 mins.
    The question to ask is why are you churning through machines so quickly? Is it something simple like resetting the thermostat trip switch? Or are you not cleaning the device enough to remove the fluff?
    If it goes wrong in less than a year then you should be taking it back to the supplier under warranty
    Buy a heat pump, best thing i ever purchased, saving £900 per year and dryer paid for itself in months doing 3 loads per day
's avatar