Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 31 October 2014

People with the 2TB Samsung/Seagate HDD in thier PS4 - Look here

Anyone with this 2tb drive in their ps4, do you hear random grind/beeping noise every so often. You will prob only hear it if you weren't playing a game.

I just got one of these drives , and every so often could be 10 mins, 30 mins, 60 mins, but happens eventually , you will hear a random quite loud beep/grind noise. Seems totally random sometimes it doesnt do it for over 3 hours etc.
Community Updates
New Comment

88 Comments

sorted by

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Author
    Anyone?
    Could it be the arm changing platters?
    Author
    Just wondered if anyone else heard this noise. Really need someone else who has this hdd in their ps4
    Author
    Anyone?
    wizard101

Anyone?

ill take a guess as no
    You really ought to avoid Seagate, I've had nothing but problems when using them and a 'tech' friend hates them, too. Next time go for a WD. That doesn't help you right now, but it's all I can say. Also, don't buy any Beko rubbish when you're looking for White Goods. That's it.
    Author
    The only 2tb hdd that fits in the ps4 is seagate. you cant get anything else.
    Mine does not make the noise you describe.
    You want to change your power cord. The 'chirping' noise you can sometimes hear is just a Seagate thing, cheap drives are build cheap. The loud beep is due to lack of power to the PS4. I didnt use my power cord that came with the PS4, as I already had an old one behind my TV furniture, and I hate replacing cables! The 2TB drive asks more power from the PS4 then the stock drive. I replaced the cable with the cable that came with the PS4, and since then I never get the beep anymore.
    Yes, I definitely get this noise with the Seagate / Samsung 2TB M9T drive. I replaced the PS4 because of it, but have now narrowed it down to the drive.

No idea why it happens, it's completely at random and of varying duration - it does sound like some power draw / warning alert type sound. Very annoying.

Did anyone else resolve it just by changing power cable? This really should not have an effect. If you do swap cables make sure you use one with a 5A fuse.
    (edited)
    Author
    Still got this problem. I did change the drive and ended up with one with a later firmware version 2BC10006 .

It seems to happen less often now and not as loud but it still happens.

Not tried changing power cable, might try just to see
    Yeah I very occasionally hear this beep noise you described with the same HDD. More concerning, when I first installed the HDD in the console and went through the initial setup; it asked me to go through the setup process again when I next booted up the console.

After conducting numerous tests on the HDD on my PC, I couldn't find any issues with the drive; so I reinstalled the HDD into the PS4 and this time everything worked normal. Very bizarre!

There used to be an issue with this drive and the PS4 when it was first launched but apparently Sony issued a patch which fixed it. I've never heard the beep noise while it was connected to my PC, therefore I assume it's something to do with the console.
    I have 2tb samsung i think never had this issue
    I have bought one, and it is also making that noise. Hopefully Sony releases a power supply box that can be attached to the power cord later on. I definitely don't want to downgrade to a 1TB. Nor do I want to wait for Sony to make a 2 TB PS4 hard drive. So a power cord can fix this problem? I also feel as though the PS4 has started to lag more often now as well. Which doesn't make sense to me.
    Hi. I'm also having this problem with the Samsung spin point 2TB drive in my ps4.
    It didn't happen with my 1tb HGST drive I had in before, but does occasionally with this one.

Did anyone find an actual fix for this?
    Thanks
    Hi. I'm also having this problem with the Samsung spin point 2TB drive in my ps4.
    It didn't happen with my 1tb HGST drive I had in before, but does occasionally with this one.

Did anyone find an actual fix for this?
    Thanks
    Just wanted to say I've got this same drive, and am hearing the same weird noises with my PS4. What drove me to look online was one fairly loud (almost as loud as the PS4 power-on beep) one that lasted for about a second and faded away. Bizarre. No actual issues with playing/loading games, though... So far.
    I was having the exact same problem for weeks. Looks like I fixed it (for now). Spend a whole day without a single beep.

What I did is the following:

- Backup all your save files on a usb drive and/or online if you have PS+
    - Download the latest PS4 firmware from playstation (version 2.03 at moment of writing): playstation.com/en-…s4/

!!! Important !!!
    Do NOT use the big blue 'Download now' button at the top. What this will do is download a 207mb file. THIS IS THE WRONG FILE and will only work if you already got an earlier PS4 firmware installed on your hard drive. What we want is a clean install.

Scroll all the way down to the the bottom of the page and you will see a black button which says "Download now" If you click this it will download a file 'PS4UPDATE.PUP' which will be around 758 MB. This is the correct file we need for a clean install.

- Format a usb drive to FAT32 (default setting) and create a folder called 'PS4' and inside this folder create another folder called 'UPDATE'. Place the firmware file here (remember it should be around 800 mb and not 200 mb!!!)

- Start your PS4 in safe mode (While booting up keep holding the power button for 7 seconds until it beeps for a second time.)

- Choose the option: 'Initialize PS4 (Reinstall system software)' and plug in the USB drive when prompted.

- Follow the instructions and wait till it's finishied.

You're PS4 will now have a clean install of the latest firmware version.
    After doing these steps I no longer hear any beeps (so far) and been using my PS4 intensively for like 6 hours straight, installing and downloading games while watching a blu-ray disc. Prior to this it would beep like every 15 minutes or so.

Maybe previously a bug occured while updating from a prior firmware version and that caused the beeping.

Anyways hope this will help some of u.

Note:
    Maybe it's nothing but just to be sure it's not related, In this new install I changed my power saving options:

Set Functions Available in Rest Mode --> Supply power to USB ports --> 'Always'

Before this reinstall (with the beeping) i had set it to '3 hours'
    Unfortunately it started beeping again the next day after i reinstalled all my games and save games

I guess it happens when you cross a certain limit GB's on your hard drive.
    wizard101

The only 2tb hdd that fits in the ps4 is seagate. you cant get anything … The only 2tb hdd that fits in the ps4 is seagate. you cant get anything else.

that cant be true!
    wozkeo

that cant be true!

Unfortunately this is true. Only a 2.5" inch drive no higer than 9,5 mm will fit in the PS4.

The next best thing is 1.5 tb Hitachi Travelstar 5K1500
    But it seems like they don't make these anymore. Everywhere i look it's out of stock or no longer available (live in the Netherlands)
    These are the only +1 tb drives that i know will work with the PS4. And i prefer not to settle for a 1 tb drive.
    ThaBEN

Unfortunately this is true. Only a 2.5" inch drive no higer than 9,5 mm … Unfortunately this is true. Only a 2.5" inch drive no higer than 9,5 mm will fit in the PS4.The next best thing is 1.5 tb Hitachi Travelstar 5K1500But it seems like they don't make these anymore. Everywhere i look it's out of stock or no longer available (live in the Netherlands)These are the only +1 tb drives that i know will work with the PS4. And i prefer not to settle for a 1 tb drive.

Hm, but when I put the drive in question in my PS4, it looked like there was still at least a few mm clearance... It looked like it could accommodate a thicker drive.
    Hi I've just installed this drive into my ps4 and have been having a problem with gameplay lag. Gameplay stutters for split second every 15 seconds very annoying, anyone else?
    lockwoodisbored

You really ought to avoid Seagate, I've had nothing but problems when … You really ought to avoid Seagate, I've had nothing but problems when using them and a 'tech' friend hates them, too. Next time go for a WD. That doesn't help you right now, but it's all I can say. Also, don't buy any Beko rubbish when you're looking for White Goods. That's it.

eh, everyone who has a bad experience warns others off of said products. I've used Seagate for years with no problems. So it's all circumstantial really. Just bad luck.

Hi I've just installed this drive into my ps4 and have been having a … Hi I've just installed this drive into my ps4 and have been having a problem with gameplay lag. Gameplay stutters for split second every 15 seconds very annoying, anyone else?

Have you tried "Rebuild Database" from safe mode? Maybe that will help. Look it up at youtube.
    Also take a look at your share settings: Press 'Share' button on controller --> 'Options' button on controller --> Share Settings --> Video Clip Settings --> Lenght of Video Clip (try less minutes).

Yesterday I managed to get a replacement for the 2TB Samsung/Seagate from the store where I purchased the HDD.
    I left my PS4 on since yesterday to download all my previous content. (At the moment around 500gb of content installed/downloaded.)

So far there has been no beeps and this is while watching Blu-rays, playing games and downloading content at the same time.

I'll update in a few days or as soon as something changes.
    Update on my second 2tb Seagate HDD 12-01-2015

The beeping has returned with my second 2tb Seagate drive.

After initializing the 2tb drive to see if things improve there were no beeping sounds untill i started installing a lot of content again. It looks that the beeping starts when I hit like the 300+ Gb mark. After placing back the default PS4 HDD and testing it for a few days, I can confirm that there are no beeps with the stock PS4 HDD.

With the new Seagate 2tb drive the first 24 hours were without any beeping. But now they are starting again (with a lot of content installed). So i can confirm it has to do with the 2 tb Seagate and PS4 combination.

The beeping souds occur only like once or twice every hour or so and are less loud as my previous HDD (like 50% volume). I hope this doen's get worse in time like my first 2tb Seagate.

I'm not that technical but maybe it has to do that the seagate HDD has more moving parts than the original drive. The original HDD has one 500 Gb platter and the Seagate has four 500 Gb platters.

Maybe the beeping starts when the HDD is using multiple platters for reading/writing.
    (edited)
    ^ Take note of the exact model number of drive and all details on the label especially the firmware and then see if you can find a link with all other users experiencing the exact same on the same drive or if anyone has a variant or rather a revision of that drive that does not do it.
    wermy

Hm, but when I put the drive in question in my PS4, it looked like there … Hm, but when I put the drive in question in my PS4, it looked like there was still at least a few mm clearance... It looked like it could accommodate a thicker drive.

Put that to the test and buy a 12.5mm drive and try it..
    (edited)
    The M9T drive I have in mine which does not do what this thread describes is showing 1.76TB with see below

Applications 465.GB
    Capture Gallery 1.89 GB
    Application Saved Data 868.5 MB
    Themes 263.2 MB
    Free Space 1.28 TB

(edited)
    My drive is the following:

Manufacturer: Samsung
    Model: Spinpoint M9T 2TB ST2000LM003
    Firmware: Unknown

I read on the manufacturers website that there are 3 different models availlable:

- ST2000LM003
    - ST2000LM004
    - ST2000LM006

Don't know what's different between these models.

My usage is as follow:

Applications 363.6.GB
    Capture Gallery 0 KB
    Application Saved Data 1.01 GB
    Themes 72.09 MB
    Free Space 1.39 TB
    ThaBEN

My drive is the following:Manufacturer: SamsungModel: Spinpoint M9T 2TB … My drive is the following:Manufacturer: SamsungModel: Spinpoint M9T 2TB ST2000LM003Firmware: UnknownI read on the manufacturers website that there are 3 different models availlable:- ST2000LM003- ST2000LM004- ST2000LM006Don't know what's different between these models.My usage is as follow:Applications 363.6.GBCapture Gallery 0 KBApplication Saved Data 1.01 GBThemes 72.09 MBFree Space 1.39 TB

They from what I can see are the same drive model numbers for Europe / Asia / Americas.

My 2tb is from a Seagate 2tb Usb 3.0 Expansion

STBX2000401

PN:1D6AP9-570

SRD00F1
    I upgraded my new PS4 to a Samsung 2Tb HDD over the weekend. I've not had any such issues. I installed 5 games - 4 from disc and 1 downloaded plus the updates. When you say its beeping is it coming from the hard disk or is it the actually PS4 beeping like it does at power on?
    dontasciime

They from what I can see are the same drive model numbers for Europe / … They from what I can see are the same drive model numbers for Europe / Asia / Americas.My 2tb is from a Seagate 2tb Usb 3.0 Expansion STBX2000401 PN:1D6AP9-570SRD00F1

I thought the drive that's inside the STBX2000401 2TB Seagate is the exact same Samsung Spinpoint M9T 2TB ST2000LM003 which the previous person mentions? Unless it's different, at 3:39 of this video you can see the drive inside the Seagate is the Samsung M9T?

Edit: Seagate acquired Samsung's hard drive business in 2011. Article here. So the Spinpoint M9T is essentially both Seagate/Samsung.
    (edited)
    dreadzone101

I thought the drive that's inside the STBX2000401 2TB Seagate is the … I thought the drive that's inside the STBX2000401 2TB Seagate is the exact same Samsung Spinpoint M9T 2TB ST2000LM003 which the previous person mentions? Unless it's different, at 3:39 of this video you can see the drive inside the Seagate is the Samsung M9T?Edit: Seagate acquired Samsung's hard drive business in 2011. Article here. So the Spinpoint M9T is essentially both Seagate/Samsung.

It is eg my M9T from expansion but mine has different firmware revision to that one in youtube video. I never said it was a different drive eg not an ST2000LM003 [M9T]

I mentioned the part numbers from the expansion to point out mine was not bought as a internal HDD. Which is why I posted earlier to say maybe it's down to firmware revision of drives

(edited)
    dontasciime

It is eg my m9t from expansion but mine has different firmware revision … It is eg my m9t from expansion but mine has different firmware revision to that one in youtube video. I never said it was a differnt drive or not an ST2000LM003

Ohh, I see. It's just that when I read your comment it sounded like a different drive hence my question asking aren't they the same. My bad.
    ^Np
    benjammin316

eh, everyone who has a bad experience warns others off of said products. … eh, everyone who has a bad experience warns others off of said products. I've used Seagate for years with no problems. So it's all circumstantial really. Just bad luck.

Most hard drives make noises especially ones with larger platter sizes.

Well statistically the failure rates for Seagate are normally around double what Western Digital drives are.

Which is why anyone that wants reliability e.g. businesses will buy Western Digital and others mainly OEMs will buy the cheaper brands to make it more cost friendly.

For a PS4, a Seagate or cheaper drive is fine, it's not mission critical and doesn't hold any important data.
    I've been having this same issue with my PS4 and the 2TB Samsung HDD also.

Someone mentioned before that it might be a power cord issue due to the drive needing more power than was originally intended for the PS4 with it's stock 500GB drive. But what alternatives are there to use with the PS4? I haven't heard of any other power cord that can be used it the PS4.

Another thing I wanted to add to this topic is that I remember reading in another forum that the HDD's used in the Seagate Backup Plus external drives would SOMETIMES stop spinning after 15 or 20 minutes. I remember before installing my 2TB drive inside my PS4, I tested out the drive while it was still inside its case; once on my Macbook Pro, and then I tried it my my Windows 7 laptop. When I tried the drive on my Macbook, it did indeed stop spinning after about 15 minutes or so. The light was still on the case, but the drive wasn't spinning (I could feel it not vibrating). Then, I tried it on my Windows laptop, and the drive never turned off. So maybe it could be a firmware issue with the drive? I searched the Seagate website for any firmware updates for this product, but they didn't have any listed on their site.

Hope someone can figure out what's going on between the HDD's and the PS4.
    Having the same issues, very quiet beeping every now and again. The drive seems to work fine though, no problem with gameplay just this single random beep.
    Same here, it's not that bothersome to be honest, obviously if there was a fix it would be good but I think it's just something you have to live with and one of the trade-off's for getting a 2TB HDD in their PS4 for £60.