Posted 2 days ago

Pixel 8 is not for me

After several years with iPhones I thought I was ready for a change and the Pixel 8 was so highly rated.
I got a great deal on a brand new, sealed 256gb model and spent the weekend setting it up. 
The more time I spent with it though I came to the conclusion that it just wasn’t for me 😬 
Luckily I got it at a good price so it shouldn’t be a costly error of judgement. 

Has anyone else made this mistake?
Community Updates
New Comment

25 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    By contrast, I had to use an iPhone 12 to complete a simple task earlier and it was a nightmarish experience. Very unintuitive and borderline unusable.
    Ive had samsung for 10 years straight apart from Huawei mate 20 pro for a year and i tried my mrs pixel 6 and hated it, terrible design, as you say camera bar and squared shape was horrible, chrome is a horrible design i much prefer Samsung internet app it has similar setup to safari with the options at the bottom instead of the top, only thing i like from google is the gboard and Google pay
    Author
    A few years back it was simply not acceptable to have the camera protruding from the back of the phone, then they start emerging a few mm’s further each year.
    The Pixel is a joke for it tbh.
    Has anyone else made this mistake?

Getting anything to do with Google is a mistake, for it is nothing but an industrial data harvesting entity.

Depending upon where you purchased the Pixel, you can return the device (e.g. if purchased from a mobile service provider). Alternatively, sell it on eBay. You'll probably get 75% of your money back, particularly if you bought it for a good price initially, as you stated.

If Android is not for you, it's back to Apple.

I just didn’t get in with Chrome. Having the bookmark, back and tabs button at the bottom of safari (and url bar at the top) feels so much better.

The URI / address bar is configurable – it may be placed either at the top or bottom.

If you want my opinion, I recommend the best flagship money can buy – the OnePlus 12. Then root it, then deGoogle it, expunging all Google's data thieving apps, including the Play Store. Then install a ROM from XDA-Developers that is devoid of Google.
    Author
    I have in fact chucked it back on eBay and sold it, probably only £30 loss in the end so not too bad at all (eBay fees are an absolute piss take but I didn’t want to wait for a promo to come around).

For all the reviews you can’t replicate that feeing of having it and using it for a couple of days. 
    Shame for you OP. The last thing anyone needs is to feel stuck as an Apple lifer You realise there are a great many Android smartphone manufacturers right? (it's not just Google)
    Author
    True, I’ve had many a good Android handset in the past and I dare say I will dip my toe back at some point.
    Not a mistake, just a learning :P

I moved from an S10 to a 14 Pro and haven't looked back.

It simply comes down to preference and I guess if you've used iPhones for a number of years, that's probably what you're used to.

What was the biggest thing/feature that you missed from your iPhone?
    Author
    Couple of standout things.

One was the massive camera bar on the back. it annoyed me how big it is, especially in a case. When on a desk it almost looks like it’s on a stand it sticks out the back so far.

I just didn’t get in with Chrome. Having the bookmark, back and tabs button at the bottom of safari (and url bar at the top) feels so much better.

I’m sure i’d have got used to stuff but it doesn’t feel like an upgrade on my current phone really. It felt like I have making do which kind of defeated the object of a new phone.

The screen brightness is great in the Pixel but I can’t say I noticed a massive improvement with a 120Hz screen. Some people get excited over that stuff but not me.

Just the general things being different and in my mind, not in a good way. Android versions of the apps just not quite as good in my subjective opinion.

As I said, I’m sure i’d have gotten used to the UI again, but the bulk of the phone / camera was really putting me off.
    I've had my Pixel 7 for over 6 months and absolutely love it. Takes perfect pictures every time. My next upgrade will certainly be another Pixel. Should imagine it takes time to get used to things when you move to a different operating system . Just think about the money you've saved over an iPhone and that should cheer you up
    switching from iphone to pixel
    Equivalent to swapping from sleeping with a demon to the Satan. 😬
    I have been on a wild ride of phone love affairs over the years. It all started with Samsung, who seduced me with their dazzling Super AMOLED screens and endless features. But soon I realised they were also stuffing my phone with unwanted apps and services that I couldn’t get rid of. So I dumped them around the time of the Galaxy S3 and moved on to Nexus and Pixel phones. The Pixel 2 XL was my second-best phone ever. But then the Pixel 3 XL came along with a notch so big it could fit a whole other phone inside. I couldn’t stand it, so I switched to my true soulmate - the OnePlus 7 Pro. It was everything I wanted in a phone - simple, fast, and smart. The only thing that let me down was the camera, which was mediocre at best. So after a long and happy relationship, I decided to try something new and got the iPhone 12 Pro Max. And that’s when I fell into the Apple trap. Before I knew it, I was hooked on their products - Apple Watch, Macbook, Airpods. I became an Apple sheep, upgrading every year from 12 Pro Max to 13 Pro Max to 14 Pro Max. But then I saw the shiny new Samsung S24 Ultra and I was tempted to go back to my ex. I gave it a chance and was impressed by how much Samsung had improved its apps and software. But there was still something missing - the convenience of Face ID and the quality of video recording. With my Samsung, I loved the freedom of customising my phone to my liking. I changed every little thing I could with it. I loved the gorgeous screen, but it wasn’t enough to keep me. So I returned it and now I’m faced with a dilemma - should I go for the OnePlus 12 or the iPhone 15 Pro Max? I’m leaning towards the iPhone because I need a good camera for my lifestyle. But who knows, maybe I’ll change my mind again. Stay tuned… (edited)
    Personally I didn't like the S3 which is when I left Samsung - still think that they are overpriced for what they provide. Only reason I have any Samsung Android devices is because they are the only recognised company doing smaller tablets (the A9 is OK, but not brilliant)

But I've never heard of anyone complaining about not having the freedom to customise an android device so looking at Apple products...
    Do you miss the iPhone big notches ? (edited)
    Author
    Me?
    They don’t bother me in the slightest.
    I might be the last person on earth that's stuck with Nokia since the 8110 in the 90s, all thought the Windows phone years, and now with HMD. Not sure how much longer they'll last, though. No idea what ill move onto if they finally go kaput.
    Iirc the Nokia name deal is for to end soon and HMD are due to release own branded devices soon
's avatar