Posted 10 January 2024

Prepaid Debit or Credit Card

Hi guys & girls

I need to pay someone about £150-£200 a month to do stuff for me. Not dodgy tax evasion but to make purchases in supermarkets etc for me, for my own stuff.

Does anyone know of a prepaid card they can get that I can pay money in to from my bank account without having to use any apps or the card issuers website?

To sum up, to basically log in to my own bank account & forward the money on to their prepaid card.

Thanks.
Community Updates
New Comment

29 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    You should be able to achieve this with Hyperjar or Starling.

I have both with an extra card for a family member and they can only spend what I allocate to them from my account.
    "Hi guys & girls"

That's me gone !
    yeah, i think willywonka is being a bit ageist
    Erm, I thought that's how cards work normally? We got a card for my daughter and I log in to my bank app to send money from our account to hers whenever she runs low. She doesn't have an overdraft or credit card so can't get into debt.

Sorry, just read that back and realised it doesn't actually answer your question! She has a Halifax current account with a card that she can use to buy things. We transfer money to that account as required. (edited)
    Author
    Thanks for the reply & taking the time to do so.

However, I am after a solution to a problem that doesn't involve the person having any responsibility for an account that is actually my full responsibility but they can use it in shops etc without issue because it has their name on that card.
    If there's a particular supermarket you use, say Asda just get a Asda gift card and top it up every month
    Quite a few banks now allow you to create/share virtual cards. Starling and Monzo are two of the ones I know that do this.

You create the card, apply funds to it (or via a 'savings pot') and then send card to others. They can only use what is in 'that pot' and no more - but it comes out of/is controlled by you and your bank.
    Author
    Thank you

I will have a look. Can you get a physical card with their name on it?
    Do you have kids? You can get a pair of physical cards from hyper jar and top them up via your bank's app. We use it for our daughter. You can also order one with your name and hand it over while you control it.
    I guess we are not joking about Xmas cards now, let's all grow up children.
    (If we must)
    Get a starling current account as you get a physical card, interest, instant push notifications of expenditure, spending categorisation, easy app access, prevent gambling expenditure, transaction limits and can't go overdrawn (edited)
    Starling do exactly what you need. They will issue a 2nd card for your carer linked directly to your account with a limit.

Starling Bank
    I guess trusting the person who is looking after you would be more important than whose name is in the card.
    Shops don't look at the card or signature, so a normal debit card in your name would be enough, with only the funds you transfer to it.
    Chase will give you 1% back on most purchases for a year.
    Or if you like a specific shop then buy the gift cards off Cardyard and let them carry the barcode on their phone. Asda cards are available at 4%, and you can buy them with Chase for an extra bonus
    Why don't u buy supermarket gift cards so you can let them use that instead of your bank card
    Author
    Thanks for all the replies & suggestions.

I will have a read later.
's avatar