Posted 6 days ago

Prime movies

Hi everyone
Over the years I've bought quite a few movies off prime video and I've recently noticed I don't appear to be getting atmos sound from them. So I've contacted amazon and I've been told you have to pay the extra for add free to get atmos even off your purchased movies has anyone else had this.
I've put a complaint in so see what happens. Can't see the point of buying anymore movies off them if you can buy off apple and get full atmos without paying any extra.
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I've just had a quick gander, and by the looks of it, when they introduced the new £2.99 ad-free subscription, they removed HDR, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos for those not paying the extra £2.99.

I couldn't see anything about existing purchases, so hopefully they will give an as to why.
    Author
    Yes if they don't change it back I won't be buying any more off them. Got a load off the apple store and they still.give you atmos on your purchases
    That's a scam imo and you should be entitled to a refund as you have purchased those movies.

You didn't rent them so they shouldn't be able to change anything about them after purchase.
    Not sure about films but if assume it's the same as kindle content. Basically, with kindle you pay for a licence to read the books, not own them.

As compared to kobo for example where you actually bought a digital copy of the book. At least in the pre rakuten days. Not sure about now.

From t&c
    h. Limited License to Digital Content. Subject to payment of any charges to rent, purchase, or access Digital Content, and your compliance with all terms of this Agreement, Amazon grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, limited license, during the applicable Viewing Period, to access and view the Digital Content in accordance with the Usage Rules, for personal, non-commercial, private use. We may automatically remove Digital Content from your Compatible Device after the end of its Viewing Period.

i. Availability of Purchased Digital Content. Purchased Digital Content will generally continue to be available to you for download or streaming from the Service, as applicable, but may become unavailable due to potential content provider licensing restrictions or for other reasons, and Amazon will not be liable to you if Purchased Digital Content becomes unavailable for further download or streaming.
    (edited)
    That's disgusting behaviour. They should not be removing what people have already bought if it was buy to keep
    its like the non prime blockbuster movies they have on there. No option to play 4k, they refuse to tell us that its because we need to buy it to access those features. We are just stuck with the 1080p.
    Seems to be the way things are going in the US with a lot of streaming services: Hdr, atmos and often 4k are reserved for the premium packages. You can see the logic to be honest, that those with more expensive kit will have the money to pay for more expensive subscriptions. We're probably going to see more of that over time.

Especially dodgy to remove quality from existing purchases though.
    Author
    Yes exactly if they want to do it for subscription that's up to them but for purchases it's out of order totally. They offered me a free month supposedly while they looked into it which I rejected, I think its somewhere in the region of another £2 or so more. So basically you have to pay your amazon sub plus this added on fee to watch movies you've already purchased off them with atmos. (edited)
    Author
    Been onto chat again about this because I've had no response to the complaint I registered with them and now they are telling me I have to send an email not only that they keep changing who I'm chatting with, they are an absolute disgrace, it's a shame we can't block the posts on here for amazon prime until they put this right. I'm going to go to the trades and standards now.
's avatar