Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 6 January 2016

Return of a toy to Smyths Toy store

Hi,

I bought a vtech toot toot parking station from a smyths toystore for my son as Christmas gift. This was instore purchase. My son saw the product after opening it, he didnt like it. So we decided to return it. The product was not used, it was in original packaging with receipt. However, the package was opened once (to see the product). We went to store and the store manager asked why do you want to return. We said we dont like it. He said, its your problem and I cant take it back. Its as per our return policy. Their policy does say item must be unopened.

Can you please advise me where do I stand? I tried calling their head office and they said they can not overturn store manager's decision.

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

23 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    http://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/page/o/customerservice/returns-policy/

Must be unopened
    damage it, then take it back as faulty?
    Cooling off periods do not apply to in store purchases, so returns are at company discretion and policy. Can't see you getting a refund here, I'm afraid.
    The policy states they don't take opened items. Not sure what anyone can advise really I'm afraid. Your tried the manager and the head office with no luck.
    kjcoolcat

damage it, then take it back as faulty?

Obviously that is what you would do.... not a good suggestion.
    Author
    Thanks all. I guess I have to take it as no refund and keep the toy.
    It's been opened so they cannot resell it as new and because it isn't faulty they cannot claim a refund or replacement from vtech. Why would they want to accept the item and make a loss if they don't have to?

Just give it to somebody else's less fussy child as a Birthday or Christmas present and move on.
    Take back to another smyths store and say its not working as it should do! Or get someone else to take back to the store in your town and say the same, and hope you dont get the same manager!
    Author
    emodan

It's been opened so they cannot resell it as new and because it isn't … It's been opened so they cannot resell it as new and because it isn't faulty they cannot claim a refund or replacement from vtech. Why would they want to accept the item and make a loss if they don't have to? Just give it to somebody else's less fussy child as a Birthday or Christmas present and move on.

I dont think its about being fussy. He is 18 months old so some thing he likes and some things he dont. But thanks for your suggestion.
    hijigu

I dont think its about being fussy. He is 18 months old so some thing he … I dont think its about being fussy. He is 18 months old so some thing he likes and some things he dont. But thanks for your suggestion.

Just accept that your child will never like every item you ever give them. Either resell it or throw it in the cupboard along with all the other toys he does not play with......like every other normal person on the planet.

He may decide he likes it in a few months time, kids are like that.
    Hi, I took back the penguin ice crush maker thingy (mr frosty but a penguin) it worked but was naff. I struggled to make any crushed ice so a child had no chance. I took it back for a refund, I said the kids couldn't get on with it. No fuss refunded straight away. Maybe the manager was in a bad mood. Any other smyths by you? I'm in the middle of two stores Cardiff and Newport so try another and just say it's broken
    Author
    Thanks Richje100. I have a reading store nearby. I shall try that.
    or you can say to them that I received as a gift on my son's birthday or xmas gift and received from two different persons same toy, my son did not like it but accidently opened it and realised its same as old which he git from different person...may this work...
    do some not find it rather disappointing in this day and age that peopel are suggesting that OP shoudl lie to stotre in order that the store carry the burden of an unwantetd present?

As mentioned before - it has been opened so the store cannot resell it as new - that is why they have the unopened returns policy.

Live with it an move on ......

..... if everyone took thsi approach stores would have to increasse prices to cover the losses, and then you woudl all moan about rip off pricing of toys !!!

EliTom
    I reckon you should just keep it, put it away for a couple of months and get it out again and see what your son thinks then. My son, especially at that age where they don't even know what they like/don't like and even now at 4, doesn't take an interest in some things but once shown again after a month or 2 he likes it and takes more interest.

You can't return it just because you don't like it if it's been opened. Either keep it or sell it for a small loss.
    Author
    Hi all, thank you so much for your comments. I have decided I am keeping the toy in my storage.
    Ellie Phant

Obviously that is what you would do.... not a good suggestion.

since when have suggestions on HUKD been good??
    Strange...on the flip side, we got our kids some chocolate coin makers and I took them back. I'd used them, got chocolate all over it, washed it put it back in the box, took it back.

Why? It made more of a mess than anything and the coins weren't exactly what you'd expect. Probably fall more under not fit for purpose but I had no problems with getting the money back. Smyth's are usually very good.
    I'd keep it for a few months and get it back out again. My 2 year old hates every toy she has one day and the next loves them all and plays with them non-stop for 4 days straight and then hates them again.
    If you give it away you can guarantee that 12 mins after your kid will want it back and all hell will let loose.
    I've just experienced the same at Smyth's in Birstal, Leeds with Ellis the manager. The difference being, another customer who happened to be at the other counter at the same time was able to return a bike that he built and then dismantled and got a full refund. So it clearly is a personality thing. Won't be going back and will be making a complaint about how unfair their policy is
    We brought a mini quad bike for my granddaughter who is three. We opened the box as my husband was going to put it together for her. On the handle was a notice saying no child over three should ride it. So took it back and refused a refund as we had opened the box This is the craziest rule I have ever heard. How many parents will buy this toy for their children at xmas and find when they open the box that their child is over three and cannot ride the quad bike. This notice should be on the front of the box not inside the box. Would not sbop bere again.
's avatar