Posted 11 January 2024

Router to replace my BT Hub ?

I have a BT hub but am looking to replace it and would be interested in recommendations.

Price wise I am upto around £75.
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Hello. I think it may be worth mentioning why you want to replace it? Poor wifi signal? Not enough ethernet ports? What is it?
    With a PN hub which is the similar to BT hub - I turned off Wifi completely as it cant split SSID and added a AX1800 (WIFI 6 but not 6E) access point - for the WIFI and as a 1Gb switch - the access point wasnt expensive. This hub carries on acting as a modem as it does that OK and will still get ISP support as still using the ISP supplied router. But if the issue is 5Ghz WIFI signal a different router prob wont help much - I use powerline to get connections around the house - but if youre on full fibre then powerline might not be fast enough. (edited)
    One important question to add is what internet connection do you have? You’d need a different model of router if you’re on ADSL/VDSL, to G.Fast, to FTTP.

If you don’t know, go to 192.168.1.254 in your web browser and click Status. Tell us what the ‘Connection Type’ page says.
    Author
    Oh I'm just on standard phone-line broadband of about 50mb with phone attached so nothing major.

My connection is used by me and my daughter but can be very slow at times. I have seen several people say to replace the hub as its often underperforming. We have two mobile phones, couple of firesticks, a couple of games consoles and my PC which is hardwired.
    Oh I'm just on standard phone-line broadband of about 50mb with phone attached so nothing major.
    You need to make sure you buy a router that has a built-in VDSL Modem then.

Something along the lines of a TP-Link VX230V Would come in around your budget and supports recent standards like WiFi 6.

One final comment to make is that by using your own router, you aren't able to keep using your landline now they have switch to digital voice. The model I suggested above supports VoIP but you would have to get your own landline provided separately by a company of your choice. BT's VoIP service only works on their own smart hub routers.
    Have you tried changing the channel wifi Is on, that usually improves speed no end.
    Could use the hub in Modem mode and add a cheap Tenda router (via ethernet cable) for the Wifi. I've used them as WiFi repeaters too and got really good signal all over 4 bed extended house. RX9 Pro at £29.99 here ebay.co.uk/itm…fYw
    Unfortunately the residential BT Smart Hub doesn't have Modem/Bridge mode. Only the business ones do.

Connecting 2 routers together without having a modem mode in place would cause you to have DHCP Conflicts, double NAT issues, as well as potential interference from having 2 WiFi access points sat right beside each other (You can disable your own WiFi, but there's a bug that stops you from disabling the public guest WiFi hotspot feature at present)

That was why I originally suggested a decent router with VDSL Modem built in until OP revealed they use the digital voice landline, which makes the only remaining option to get a hold of the new EE Smart Hub Plus (2023) Which supports newer and better standards like WiFi 6 unlike the BT Smart Hub 2. That will give better networking performance as well as keeping the landline service up and running.
's avatar