Posted 27 January 2024

Router/WiFi extender

Hi,
Having upgraded my internet from 36mb/s copper wire to 500mb/s FTTP (SKY) I've found that my Tenda AV1000 powerline adapters are only managing to get ~ 100mb/s to my games console. So I switched the console to WIFI on 5ghz and now it manages to get ~ 260mb/s (I read somewhere that this is the max speed due to the console WiFi)

As I know that a wired connection is best I temporarily threw a ethernet cable across the living room and the speed went up into the 400mb+ range. Getting a cable from router to console is not practical so I was wondering if a WIFI extender like a TP-AC1900 with a gigabit port, fitted near the console would work? This is quoted as having 1300gb/s on 5ghz.

So the question is, can I get 400-500mb/s from router to extender on WIFI 5Ghz then same out of the gigabit port? Or using any other equipment/method you would recommend.
Thanks.
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Considering Tenda AV1000 powerline cable connection is rated to gigabit speeds and router + device are indicated to be in same room:
    probably prudent to first check the Tenda AV1000 with known-good / full-rated gigabit-capable cables, gigabit source port(s) & other gigabit port clients,
    as the indicated current AV1000-obtained speed of (presumed marginally below) 100Mb/s may imply a sub-gigabit component has auto-neg down to fast ethernet.
    Author
    I think the problem with the powerline adapters is that they are both plugged into some BG 13 Amp Twin Switched Smart Home Control Sockets. A few years back I had some AV600's and when I replaced my normal sockets for these smart ones the speed dropped and their status leds kept going from green to orange.

52086791-UXk00.jpg
    What gaming console do you have? I've never heard of a wireless standard that maxes out at 260Mbps.

The Tenda AV1000 you own should already be fast enough. What about fitting the AV1000 near the console and run a short ethernet cable from the Tenda AV1000's gigabit ethernet ports to the console instead? This way you only need to buy a short ethernet cable (CAT6 should be enough, don't buy anything above CAT 6e just in case) which is a lot cheaper.

Also consider whether or not 260Mbps is enough for your game console. The only advantage I can think of is faster game downloads. Faster speeds won't help with stability or latency in online play. In fact, adding a powerline extension and gaming over Wi-Fi will almost always gives worse latency performance. (edited)
    Author
    Console is a xbox series x
    Whilst searching for info on WiFi speed I came across this post...
    reddit.com/r/x…493
    Probably just opinions and not fact but someone wrote...
    "Yeah it’s not a software fix unfortunately. It’s just a low quality WiFi chip they installed in the series x. I’m guessing to keep costs down and they didn’t think many would care or notice."
    As I like mysteries and problem solving it started off as more of a 'why is the WiFi speed maxing out at 260mb/s'. (This was tested using the speed test in the system settings)
    The only online gaming I delve into is the Forza series and as you guessed, I was trying to take advantage of faster game downloads.
    I use these and get good speeds amzn.eu/d/4…C9X. What are yoi going to connect the TP-AC1900 to?
    Author
    It would probably connect to a TP-Link LS1005G gigabit switch which feeds to TV, Sky stream puck and console. And WiFi to Sky router.
    Powerline adaptors work best in a mains socket on the wall, using extensions can affect performance, as can any local interference caused by power supplies and chargers - think mobile phones, landline phones, etc etc.

Worth a check for firmware updates for the Tenda AV1000s.
    I used the Tenda PH3 & PH6 Adapters for a couple of years without issue. You should be getting more than 100Mb, especially if they're in the same room and on the same ring main. As some else has pointed out I would check you're using fully wired Ethernet cables in the Poweline chain.
's avatar