Posted 9 November 2023

Running electric to garage

Hi all,

I want some tips and hints and mainly all the correct wording for parts etc... on how to run electric to the garage.

NOTE: ** of course i will have a certified electrician to do all connections **
i just want myself to do the donkey work and save cash

Scenario is i can come out from the side of the house and run down the concrete wall and into the garage about 10 meters away.
i understand i will need:
- armored cable (15~ meters)
- new board within garage
- run electric cable around the garage for
-- 4 sockets
-- lights
Power usage and purpose to have tv, turbo trainer bicycle and power tools for diy etc...

Hopefully there is a sparky within and wants to list out there kit list
Now helpers; i need the help with connecting the names and maybe even a www guide on parts and tips.

Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Surely, you should be asking the electrician you have hired to do the job.

Sounds like you are trying to DIY.
    Author
    No no, I'm not silly and not messing with electrics.

Just asking for reference.
    an electrician will not connect up and sign off for you. they will need to do it, or if you are lucky enough to get one that will do the final bit, then he will want to specify what has to be done in detail. he wouldn't want to risk signing off something that he hasn't actually seen or been involved with.
    run an extension from a couple of sockets inside the house for lights and power
    Author
    An option but rather something safe and permanent.
    Armoured cable if outside and distribution board in garage. Not an electrician myself but that is how an electrician has run electric to my shed. (edited)
    You do not need an armoured cable run - if the run is visible and not buried.
    If it's visible run the cable through a UV resistant conduit - SWA (Steel Wire Armoured) cable is usually buried, so unless you are going to bury it you don't need it. Obviously it's a safer option though. You will also require a dedicated 30mA RCD.
    Different parts of the UK require different notification. For England Section P of the Building Regulations states that installing electricity to outbuildings including sheds and greenhouses is notifiable. You have to give building notice or else submit full plans of the installation before any work starts.
    I would recommend you get at least 3 quotes - that way you can judge costings yourself - it sounds like around £300 for materials (~£100 for 15M 10mm twin & earth cable from house to garage, ~£25 for 15M 2.5mm twin & earth cable - for the garage and ~£15 for the lights), the rest will be labour (at least £1k making the bill around £1.5~£2k).

It's worth pointing out that sparky's usually prefer to quote for the parts & labour - that way they can be confident & familiar with the parts used. Some will insist as that's the only way they can be confident is signing off on their install.
    Plenty of Youtube videos where they discuss these details and why they prefer supplying the materials... (edited)
    Author
    Thank you all for the comments and information.

In hindsight it was naive to not ask the sparky themself... As I wouldn't sign off a job without any input.

Happy Friday
    when we bought a house many years ago, we got a new kitchen installed. we wanted to change the gas cooker into an electric cooker so new wiring had to be installed. the kitchen fitter could do the cabling as he does electrics as part of kitchen installation but he isn't a part P qualified electrician, and you need to be part P qualified to do new electrical installations. so he got an electrician that he knew to sign off the work but the electrician came round to see what was going to be done and he told the kitchen fitter what was needed as he said that he can't sign off something that he was told of but didn't actually see done.

he therefore came round a couple of times as he wanted to see the cables laid and joined up, so although he didn't actually do the work, he wanted to see the work done as he said he couldn't sign off something that he can't actually see and have inspected.

it did save us a little bit of money as the kitchen fitter didn't charge us much for the work as he was there doing the kitchen fitting anyway.
's avatar