Posted 19 December 2023

Shopping for a dishwasher - any suggestions or tips?

Our dishwasher is dying, so it's going to be time to replace it soon. We had a repairman come and look at it a couple of years ago, and he didn't know what the problem was, but fortunately it's carried on working for a long time.

Want free-standing, something cheapish.

1. Any features you particularly recommend?

2. What retailer should I buy from? Only looked at Currys so far as they have good filtering options, but will look at some of the other big ones and on pricespy.

3. Any brand or model recommendations? Ours is a Bosch which has only lasted 5 years, before that I think we had a Beko, which lasted a similar time.

4. I'm thinking about whether it's worth forking out a fiver for a Which subscription to see what they recommend
Community Updates
New Comment

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    For large electrical items I always suggest having a look at Euronics. if your local shop doesn't have it they can order in. Their customer service and delivery teams are usually much better than say Curry's, AO etc and order times much quicker.
    Order direct from the manufacturer. Although AO looked cheapest, by the time you add on everything it was more expensive than Hoover (we bought a washing machine) so we went direct to them and they installed it a few days later.
    I went for the most efficient one. That was the most important thing for me.
    Make sure you're happy with the layout inside. I bought a Kenwood replacement once and I hated it. Thankfully it developed a fault and I managed to get a refund, due to three failed attempts of Currys trying to fix it.
    I went for a cheap one.
    Never use any of the settings as stays on setting normal.
    I bung salt and rinse aid in even with all in one tabs, and not needed to clean machine.
    Runs fine.
    Cutlery drawer or basket? Whichever is cheaper machine. (edited)
    Beko all the way, last one changed at 9.5 years old.
    Changed due to basket tips breaking off and going rusty.
    £50 more for a new dishwasher than replacing the baskets / trays.
    As above set on regular cycle only and add salt and rinse aid.
    Marks electrical are very good.
    My Bosch is 23 years old, broke down for the first time this year, parts cost me about £15, but I'll probably scrap it soon.

Should always use salt in the softener unit regardless of the detergent unless you have soft water, washes better and stops limescale deposits wrecking the components. My previous dishwasher lasted 17 years, it needed new seals and racks. (edited)
    Personally I would avoid any appliance in the Whirlpool Group, namely Indesit & Hotpoint in the UK.
    100% agree. In my experience they are the worst.
    What is wrong with current one. We had a problem in that it wouldn't drain, but a quick search revealed it was an easily replaced component
    Author
    Thanks, that's a good point. It's the check water light. My wife has cleaned out inside the machine, but YouTube videos are suggesting cleaning the out flow pipes, etc, too. So I'll give that a go
    Cutlery basket or drawer?

51783569-nNitv.jpg
    Author
    Yeah, family of 5, but those little ones look cool
's avatar