Posted 23 January 2024

Smart Meter vs Meter with red key

hi
i currently use a top up meter with a red key, my gas company are offering me a smart meter. is that a good idea? they're saying they can install it for free.

i am clueless about ths stuff. does anyone have any info please?
Community Updates
New Comment

2 Comments

's avatar
    It means that you can top up online or over the phone without having to go out and buy credit, that’s the big benefit. It also makes it easier for you to keep track of usage with the in-home display that they’ll offer at the time of installation too.

If you’re ever in a position where you can/want to move to an account where you’re billed for your usage instead, you’ll likely be able to switch straight over using the same smart meter rather than having to change the meters over too. So it gives some flexibility. Obviously then with the bonus that you don’t have to provide meter readings either like you’d normally have to with a post paid account.

I have smart meters on both my gas and electricity post paid accounts and am happy with them. So I’d certainly consider saying yes if it was me.
    There seems to be quite a few people on the net who are dead against installing smart meters, I’m not sure why tbh. I’ve had a smart meter for years, no issues or problems. I don’t bother plugging in the little screen so you can see the usage etc going up and down, I don’t want to start number watching.

And as per the previous comment, seeing as your on pre-pay, the smart meter can make things more convenient to top up.