Posted 9 January 2024

Towcar (caravan) recommendations for a petrol car

I'm looking for a new towcar to pull a bailey ranger caravan (1244kg) it's also going to be a short daily commuter.

I would prefer a newish SUV and it has to be a petrol. So far I've looked at the Mazda cx 5 2.0 petrol. It's quite pricey compared to some rivals at around £17k for a 2018-2019

Ford kuga, Hyundai Tucson etc are much cheaper but have smaller 1.2-1.5 turbo engines.

Can anyone recommend anything from 2018 onwards in the SUV sector thats going to pull without too much trouble. I'lle only be caravaning a handful of times a year and probably not too far. It's also going to be the main "family car"
Community Updates
New Comment

15 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Tucson or xc40 are ideal
    Author
    Both smaller engines than a cx5 and less torque I think.
    Sadly they no longer make the Multipla and the Chrysler Grand Voyager is too fuel heavy (the SsangYong equivalent doesn't pass safety tests).
    I guess the Audi Q5 is powerful enough, as for SUV - what about a Land Rover, or the cheaper Dacia Duster?
    Author
    I'm only looking for petrol engines. I don't think the land rover comes in a petrol. Q5 is a bit pricey and I'm only familiar with the diesel ones which are terrible for dpf issues. Ive had a Dacia courtesy car and wouldn't be in a rush to buy one.
    "So far I've looked at the Mazda Mx 5"

"It's also going to be the main "family car"

I think one of us is missing something here.
    Author
    Edit: CX5 (edited)
    Towcar of the year 2022 in the 1300-1400Kg segment was a Nissan Qashqai 1.3 petrol. not my first choice but I would say if towing only a few times a year prioritise every day use rather than towing use. A 1.4 or 1.5 turbo is not going to set the world on fire when towing but as long as it gets you there safely and the car is rated for the weight you are towing then do you need more?
    Skoda Kodiak?
's avatar