Posted 9 November 2023

Tp Link Deco Powerline (P9).. Not as expected!

Hey everyone,

Finally got round to (trying to) setup my Deco P9. Sadly, not quite going we I had expected.

The main reason for buying it was Powerline connection as opposed to WiFi. Essentially have a garden building with power which I wanted to use the WiFi in.

If I connect the second deco node in the house it works, if I go to the garden building and plug it in it flashes red and doesn't work.

It makes me think it's trying to use WiFi instead of powerline for some reason. I tested the powerline functionality using a 15 year old set of homeplugs and this works perfectly! (But obviously it's wired so not practical).

Any tips as to what I may be able to tinker with to make this work? I don't feel like getting another deco node to try and fix it. The distance from the two nodes, when trying, is probably 50m or less - considerably less than the advertised 300m odd on the box!

Any ideas much appreciated!
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    It's possible that the garden power is isolated from your house's rings so there's no physical link and they can't talk to each other. Also possible that the garden line is simply too noisy for powerline to work (Powerline signals degrade really fast over cable distance).

Have you made sure you've synced the encryption to the other powerline units? Varies but it generally involves holding a button down on one synced unit until it flashes, then running down to the other unit to do the same.
    Author
    Thank you for the reply. The garden stuff is on a separate thing under the stairs but my successful poc with old homeplugs led me to believe it would work just fine!

I'm not sure on synching the encryption, but with the secondary node in the house it works fine.

I suppose, if it wasn't raining, I could connect an extension cable from the shed to say the middle of the garden and try - to see if it's a range based issue or a powerline issue etc
    Author
    Well there was another comment, sounds like it was deleted or something.

Slightly bonkers idea..

Internet - -> Router - - > Homeplug - - > Deco Master - -> Homeplug - - > Deco Secondary

Essentially use the oldskool home plugs to basically hard wire ethernet between the house and garden, then hang a deco off each to create the WiFi mesh network on top of it, sort of :0
    Would the homeplugs not be conflicting with the deco?