Posted 21 January 2024

Trainline app and tickets

Hello, I need to start using mobile tickets for train instead of physical tickets.
I need a little help. I need to go to Liverpool street station and return
But the Trainline app wants me to select times and then the ticket shows I can travel on a select few additional times..
My return trips vary depending on when I complete my jobs.
I'm used to a standard return ticket where I can get on any train.

And I also don't know how to get a travel card for the underground as well.
I don't really want a 2nd app for oyster as I don't use the underground loads

Anyon able to help ?
Community Updates
New Comment

14 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    That’s outdated, they came to an agreement
    After you pick the trains, you are likely to get. There is another screen before you purchase where you can select any time return, which will be more expensive but give you more flexibility. I always pick this option. Otherwise, if you buy advance singles, you are restricted to those exact trains
    Author
    Ok, thanks I'll give it a go.
    You don't need a second app for Oyster, just your contactless debit or credit card or Apple / Google Pay. Just use the same one during the entire trip to tap in and out so that you benefit from the day cap.
    Author
    Oh ok that's good. So just tap in and out like an oyster? Don't need to buy travel cards then?
    Where are you travelling from? Even though you select a return time it should still be a same day anytime return ticket.
    Author
    From Witham in Essex to Liverpool street in London. Sometimes I need a travel card for underground and sometimes I just need to go to Liverpool street back.
    It depends what time you are travelling and especially what time you want to reach London. Depending on that, you might be able to get Super Off-Peak return where you can return on any off-peak train within a month. There might even be a Off-Peak day return where you can come back same day on any off-peak train.
    Author
    I come back same day, sometimes I go in early so peak but come back early afternoon. The cost bit doesn't matter as I claim back business costs, but it's confusing. I just need to get a travel card when using underground, or a simple return if going to Liverpool street and returning from there but walking to any places in between.
    Trainline charges a tenner if you have to cancel tickets, the proper train company app will do free refunds.
    Author
    Ok. I'll look at greater Anglia then as need to get from north essex to Liverpool street and then underground sometimes.
    A few suggestions:

1. Where you can, book an advanced ticket at least a day in advance. It’ll be cheaper than buying on the day if you can stick to a set train schedule in and out

2. If you’re travelling regularly and can’t book a set train time, might be worth you buying a Network Railcard

3. Uber give you 10% back on train travel and don’t charge booking fees, so might be a good option
's avatar