Posted 19 January 2024

Virgin Media Volt offer: separate contracts for broadband (with Virgin) and mobile (with O2)

I'm looking at the Virgin Volt offers. £70 for 18 months for 500mbps broadband, their biggest TV package, sky sports, sky cinema, standard netflix, anytime landline calls. Everything I need. It also comes with an unlimited O2 airtime contract.

The £70 is split into two separate contracts - this is made clear throughout, and I have received separate contracts from Virgin Media and O2. The Virgin contract is £45pm; the O2 is £25pm.

I am sure the prices are related and it wasn't possible to order the Virgin product without taking the O2 product, but I've got separate contracts with separate prices. And each contract has its own cooling off period. The O2 contract states "You have the right to withdraw from your contract within 14 days from receiving your order. We’ll give you back all the payments you’ve made, apart from any buy-out fee from your previous contract or any express delivery charges. You also have to pay any usage charges you’ve had in that time."

Does anyone know if Virgin would know or care if I called up O2 and canceled the £25 airtime contract? Because if I did, then the £45/month I'd be paying Virgin would be the best deal on the market, by miles.

Any thoughts welcome.
Community Updates
New Comment

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Hope it's okay to tag onto this thread
    I need some advice please. I'm currently on Virgin broadband Volt M250 Fibre Broadband - Discount £35 tariff, and O2 SIM £7.
    I'd like to add the Sky sports package, but that comes to £86 total, incl. mandatory Mix It TV at £5. How can I get a price similar to OP? I really only want the sports package, not interested in Netflix etc.
    I want to be armed with the right info before I contact Virgin.
    Cheers.
    These are special vm partners deals that you get via a special discount site, only available for new customers.

If you’re out of contract the best you can do is give notice and then haggle with outbound retentions.

If you’re not out of contract, then it might be cheaper to add VM Stream rather than TV360 for your sports. But be sure to price up against other options like any discount deals for Now TV, or Sky Stream at the moment and such.
    No issue with ditching the O2 side - thousands have done it, other than stated - you loose your Volt. It may be worth considering what we done (we didn't want to loose the volt) - reduced the O2 sim to what we needed - £8pm (later changed to £6pm for better data) and have volt on both sides as a result.
    Heya mate

How do you go about doing this if you don't mind me asking? Just got my retention offer in now on the same package so I'm looking to reduce the O2 SIM to as cheap as possible to retain Volt benefits
    You can cancel and it won’t affect the VM monthly price.

In the super unlikely event your account is audited, the terms mean they would be within their rights to remove your volt benefits from the package if you cancel in your cooling off period. This wouldn’t change your contracted price. But it would mean you drop to the next tier down on broadband speeds.

99.999% of people who cancel during cooling off don’t lose their volt benefits though.
    Author
    Awesome, thank you (and thanks to everyone else who commented).

I thought I'd spotted some incredible loophole - turns out it's well known! As far as I can tell the volt benefit (on the Virgin leg of the contract) is 500mbps vs 256. 256 is more than enough for me (I am currently on 63!)

I don't need the o2 contract so if the only downside risk is they dial down my broadband a bit, canceling my o2 is a no-brainer!
    You will lose the Volt benefit.
    No you're all good. I had a volt deal but ended my O2 contact early as the signal was so bad in my area. Months later I got a new deal with virgin and I have just kept the volt benefits even though I told the guy on the phone I ended the O2 contract months earlier
's avatar