Posted 20 hours ago

Virgin Media with Mesh Wifi

Hello.
Purchased a Mercusys ax3000 triple pack to use in a large house that has very poor signal in some places.

I was going to set the Virgin Superhub to modem mode and use one of the nodes as a router

Alas, the nodes only have 3 ports on them.
The existing Virgin superhub has several network cables attached.

I know adding a switch will sort this out (have done this in my own home) but I wanted to check if I can continue to use the Superhub as is, and the 3 nodes can all be setup as access points (presumably the nearest one doesn't have to be plugged in afterall and can be some distance away, right?)
Or some other method that doesn't require purchasing a switch or other devices.
Basically want to get signal all around the house today at no additional cost.

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I think if you put it in modem mode only port 1 will work on the super hub . You can just set the super hub to router mode and just turn the wifi off on it. I had to do this with some tenda mw6 as I couldn’t get my hub to work with them in modem mode only 
    Set it in router mode and turn off the wifi. that's how I use mine. Works flawlessly
    Author
    Thanks guys. So does this mean all three nodes will become access points only and I won't need to stick a cable between one of them and the Superhub?
    You will need a cable, not to sure about your system but typically you would configure 1 as the master, the one that will be hard wired and all the others would slaves/nodes. Again depending on what the product you have can do the nodes can either also be hard wired or can act as wireless repeaters.

My mesh is by Linksys and this is what I have done.
    You can get up to 3 wi-fi pods from virgin for free which extend the signal
    Author
    Oh no, wish I knew this a few days earlier!
's avatar