Posted 17 July 2022

Water for steam iron

What’s the cheapest way to buy water that won’t cause lime scale in a steam generator iron?
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If you're lucky enough to have an air conditioner, the water that collects in the tank is perfect for what you want.

Unlikely to be useful for most of the year though!
    Never heard this before but makes sense.
    I used de-ionised water - same type that goes in car batteries

like what is sold here

tesco.com/gro…uk/

available in other supermarkets and Halfords etc and car parts places and the big online retailer (edited)
    I have used the waste water from my condensing tumble dryer for many years without issue. The water is distilled.
    **Health Warning** many iron manufacturers insist that this may damage your iron due to soap or lint remnants in the water. Others say it can be used if filtered first. (edited)
    Sued?
    spotlesswater.co.uk/

That's what I have been using in our steam generator over the last few months.

Price depends on location but I am PAYG therefore pay about 5.5 per litre from memory. Stopped buying distilled water once I found this. (edited)
    Cooled boiled water isn't a substitute for distilled water, however you can use it - just add a few drops of lemon juice to counter the limescale build up. Note that de-ionised water is also not the same as distilled water! De-ionised water can still leave mineral deposits in your iron...
    Home bargains sell Ironing water for about £1 in their laundry section.
    About the worst type of water for your iron. Ruined my steam generator a few years back.
    If you have a dehumidifier, or know someone who has one, they produce a plentiful supply of suitable water, at least in the winter months.
    Tap water works for us - but then we live in an area with soft water. So no limescale.

(Also out tap water is from an area that bottles it anyway)
    When I had a water butt I always used rainwater, never had a problem with limescale but I only ironed the occasional shirt.
's avatar