Posted 26 January 2024

What is a cheap place to have car brake pads replaced?

Got an MOT today and was told there's 3mm remaining on my car's front brake pads.
Community Updates
New Comment

31 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Just go to bookmygarage.com
    Enter your reg and postcode, then you can scroll down in the menu and click brake pads and will give you all the prices from local garages near you, then just pick one, used the website loads of times (edited)
    Firstly.. cheap place and brakes is not the wisest way to look at this.
    If you really want to go cheapest, buy the pads from gsf and do it yourself. If competent.

However the logical and sensible approach is to ask about for a decent garage and accept that somethings in life are worth the money.
    You might live a little longer as a result.
    Above has got their head screwed on. Don't go cheap on brakes, your or other people on the roads life ain't worth it.
    Pagid is always my go to brand.
    If you've not done discs and pads before don't do them alone, make sure somebodys with you to watch over who knows what they're doing. I've seen people put pads the wrong way or forgot to put bolts in or even haven't tighted the wheel bolts
    Main dealers can be quite cheap.
    I found that not all dealers charge the same price.
    Search Peugeot, Ford, Toyota etc. Fixed price repairs.
    On my 5008, I can get front pads for £99 and rear for £95.
    Textar are my preferred choice for brakes.
    A lot of cars have them fitted as standard, Peugeot & Toyota for eg.

52084577-iB0w5.jpg
    52084577-U65Ku.jpg
    Ring around some of the local garages to you quoting your make,model,age and reg number of your vehicle and they should provide you with a quote.
    Generally my driveway . Seriously as above, however not all pads are the same, so it's not always easy to compare prices.
    £359 at book my garage site for me for front brakes! Good grief. It's got stupid now with garage prices for whatever reason. Cost of living with running costs or a lack of qualified mechanics? Greed taken over imo having had no end of troubles with garages and overpriced poor work on car. Just a trend that will continue (edited)
    Assuming that's discs and pads ?
    What car is it, as this may have a significant impact on the price of pads too.?
    Ford Mondeo 2.0 petrol. Mk4.

I'll do myself.

Discs and pads are £60 (edited)
    Phone around garages, telling each garage the previous place was cheaper.. many places will reduce their quote to get ur custom.

Might work, might not. It's worth 20 mins of ur time for a few phone calls...
    Halfords (yes some people hate them) but

'To uphold our price promise to not be beaten on price, we actively monitor the prices offered by our competitors and adjust our own pricing accordingly.

If you find a cheaper price, including fitting and/or delivery, we'll match it in our stores or garages, and if you find it after you've purchased from us, we'll refund the difference within 14 days of receipt of your goods, providing it is within policy.'

They have basically done all the ringing around for you.
    Don't use Halfords Garages. They are scam artists.
    Few garages will want to fit parts that you supply. After all, if the set you bought had a problem, whose responsibility is it to replace them?
    Look at how many miles, or time passed, between the last change, and you will see the cost is not so bad. Then price it against that new phone or shiny hifi you want, and consider that one saves your life, whilst the other is just entertainment.
    Do it yourself .. a really straightforward job as long as you have (or borrow) some tools.
    Theres no guarantee that a chain store won't fit crap pads - and you can buy what you like (or afford)
    eurocarparts.com now have a fitting option which is just local independent garages prices for fitting the brake pads which you’ve selected online
    we used to go to those places that replace tyres. they often do brake pads as well, like kwikfit
    Did you ask them how much they would do it for?
    Author
    Yeah, 180 quid for two.
    My local F1 did the front brakes on my car for £60 a few years back, I supplied the pads and they fitted them.
    Anyone who puts " cheap " brake parts or tyres on their vehicle must have a death wish, they are probably the most important bits of a car, they help keep you alive.
    Cheap brakes might mean that they wear out a bit quicker or they might be a bit noisier etc, it doesn't mean that the car won't stop when you brake.
's avatar