Posted 4 days ago

Which bicycle to buy?

Hi,

I'm looking for a mens bicycle with a budget of around £400, a little more if I get a lot more for my money. I suspect like most things, you get what you pay for.

I'll be riding on road, in parks, light gravel etc. Not doing any stunts or jumps!

I'll need to use a rare child seat and would want mudguards, rear storage for park trips.

I'm not sure if I need suspension.

I've narrowed it to these:

Would prefer something light weight as I'll already be carrying a load so something around 13.5kg I suppose.

I'll be purchasing as part of cyle2work scheme.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
Community Updates
New Comment

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If you want a good deal on a new bike, then c2w is probably the way to go. However for what it actually cost you, you would end up with a very nice second hand hybrid and all the accessories to go with it on that budget. From someone who enjoys cycling I'd definitely buy secondhand unless your budget was greater, then I'd probably look at the bike as a long term investment and go c2w.
    Sorry it doesn't really answer your question other than to think of what's making you decide to get a bike.
    Yup, there's so many good cheap bikes out there it's crazy. I used to fix up bikes to sell on but there's pretty much no money in it anymore, the all-the-gear-no-idea crowd that bought bramd new bikes in the pandemic are still clearing out there garages!
    Before I bought one of them I would check the bike specs I wanted on any bike up to £1k or over on Halfords & go & look at the used ones on Ebay.

You could buy that £1k bike for £400 or less, worst case scenario you have to buy 2 new tyres & some brake pads or cycle home. (edited)
    Author
    Thank you. Thing is, a £400 bike will actually cost me around £230 because of the Cycle2work benefit. I'd also rather not have the hassle of refurbishing a used a bike - really can't afford the time at the moment and value the warranty. (edited)
    I have no knowledge how the scheme works, but if you have to pay anything upfront then Cardyard could save you 10% of your cost
    Pay the extra for this Raleigh one. Lighter, disc brakes, alloy forks

halfords.com/bik…wcB
    That does look a good bike and that is quite light to be fair.
    Second hand market is saturated, even if you had to pay a local bike mechanic for a tune up it'd still be better value to buy second hand if you can. So many good bikes on the second hand market right now I have to stop myself buying them.

If you're just getting started too and haven't been a hardened cyclist for years it's an even better idea to go second hand.
    Exactly. Just bought a £400 hybrid trek bike that's 6 years old is barely used for £30

If only the second hand car market was the same
's avatar