Posted 13 December 2023

5G Broadband suppliers

Hi Guys’

I’m not sure if this should be in the Ask section, or it could turn into a Mega Thread?

What is your experience with 5G Broadband. It’s it safe to have 5G permanently blasting you in your home 24/7?

I’m looking at Three Broadband 150Mbps for about £22/month (£60 TCB).

Or would you rather have cabled internet?

Cheers

EDIT: I found this: broadbandgenie.co.uk/bro…afe
Community Updates
New Comment

20 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    “Is it safe to have 5G permanently blasting you in your home 24/7?”

5G is already there ‘blasting’ you in your home 24/7. It doesn’t matter if you’re using them or not. The radiowaves are being transmitted to you regardless. And it’s considered entirely safe.

All you’re doing by getting a 5G router is making the radiowaves useful and turning them into internet. You’re simply broadcasting WiFi just like you would if you had the internet coming through a cable or telephone line and broadcasting it wirelessly throughout your home too.

5G Broadband is good if you have a good signal and the network isn’t congested. The only way to find out is to try. Do you have a phone on the Three network already?

If you can’t get full fibre where you live, it’s probably worth giving 5G a try. If you can get FTTP broadband though then just save yourself the hassle and order that instead since you know you’re going to get a good connection anyways.
    They use microwaves not radio waves
    Purely observational related to price:

£22/m less £60 cb seems expensive for 3 5G - unless 30day contract, which that example isn't.

Compare to 3 unlim 5G data at equivalent circa £6.33/m over 24m term (no cashback or other promos),
    plus BYO 5G router at around £100,
    so say total £11/m over each of the 24m and the router is still your property to use/sell beyond month24,
    unlike 3s consumer Home BB contract hardware that is 3s property & returned to 3 when the service is terminated.
    Author
    What is that deal you are talking about for £6.33/month?
    I’ll be honest, I’ve never even thought to consider a 5G Router…. Not even sure if I knew they existed, until you said so (edited)
    It is completely safe, the microwaves are not high frequency and are thus are not ionising (edited)
    Depends entirely on your location. If you have good Three 5g signal then you can get very fast broadband for relatively cheap.

I've had "5g broadband" from Three for 6 months, and in that time I've actually had 5g signal for around 12 hours in total, and only about half of that any faster than 4g.
    I've had Three 5G broadband for a couple of months and just sent it back this month and went back to Virgin.
    Reason for it, not stable or dependable. Sometimes it would hit 500Mb download, sometimes it would drop to under 10 Mb. Plus the high ping, when I opened a webpage it would take a couple of seconds till it decided to load up, had buffering issues. Hard to find a good location for the router in the house, it should be put as close to a window as well. Good points, no cables and I caught the £15pm monthly rolling contract.
    It's safe as long as you don't live in the block that has the mast.
    Please delete this comment, all you're doing is spreading false information, causing people to worry for no reason. 5G masts have been tested and have proven to be within the strict guildlines of safe operation
's avatar