Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 22 March 2024

Need help please: Moving a cooker switch?

Hello,

I would be grateful if any electrician (or anyone who did this) would help me with this:

Is it a simple, non expensive job to move a cooker switch (cooker control unit?) max 10 cm to the side? I bought a bigger gas hob than my current one and would need to move the cooker switch away from the hot zone to be able to install the said hob.

Thank you.
Community Updates
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    Thanks for your input. I would appreciate it if you could "translate" what you just said into layman's terms, please. It'll be done by an electrician, obviously, but I need to know now if it's worth doing that or just buy a smaller hob. (edited)
    ~£100, I doubt you'll find a qualified sparky doing it for less...
    It will take longer to chase out the new socket hole and make good on the old one than actually do the wiring. Also depends if the person before left some slack on the cable or installed it like a violin string to save 5p
    My dad did just this - had to move the sockets a few inches as the kitchen was being refitted with a new counter top. The amount of effort to chase the walls was more than the effort involved rewiring (there was plenty of slack!)
    If it's just a cooker switch and you need more cable it does seem extreme to run a new cable, however you need to make sure whatever method you use to extend the wire is rated for the job!
    Post some pics up.
    Not sure why people are throwing out figures of £100. Without pictures no one will have a clue.
    Author
    Sorry, not home yet.
    So the yellow is where the new hob will be placed. The purple cross is where I need the switch to go.
    NB: The illustration is a random pic from the internet.
    And what is that wall made of? Where is the cable run? How much slack is in the cable? Is there a junction box under the cabinets? Do you want the electrician to organise making good? If its tiled do you have spare tiles? (edited)
    Author
    52440199-PWoCo.jpg
's avatar