Posted 12 May 2015

Any difference in finish between Non-Drip and Quick Dry Gloss paint?

Doing some decorating and was told to get Non-Drip. However need quite a lot and it only comes in 750ml (£13) pots while Quick Dry comes in 2.5l (£18) pots and almost the same price as the Non Drip.

Is there any real difference?
Community Updates
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Quick dry is often rubbish, easy to scratch off. That's my personal experience anyway. I don't buy it anymore
    As with all decorating though the key to a good finish and results is down to prepping properly first, without correct prepping you would have to be extremely lucky to get good results, the basics of which are removing any dust/greases/contaminants from the surface and sanding down to give an even surface with a slight texture to give the paint something to hold onto, for me the prepping takes longer than the painting, sugar soap is my cleaning agent of choice as it tackles just about anything that paint doesn't like.
    It all depends on your decorating skills. Are you a part time DIY'er? If so get the non drip. It goes on alot easier and less mess.
    Author
    gsnares

It all depends on your decorating skills. Are you a part time DIY'er? … It all depends on your decorating skills. Are you a part time DIY'er? If so get the non drip. It goes on alot easier and less mess.

I'm useless haha. Asking as getting the bigger 2.5l quick dry will save me like £30
    Well then, are you a perfectionist and like to take your time? How good do you want it to look? Drips on the white paint will show when its dry with the cheaper stuff.
    I just decorated and used quick dry due to having a kid who suffers asthma... would recommend it to anyone the smell is virtually nil ..I was told quick dry has less smell x
    white turns yellow on most the gloss paints nowdays and has to be redone.
    delusion

Quick dry is often rubbish, easy to scratch off. That's my personal … Quick dry is often rubbish, easy to scratch off. That's my personal experience anyway. I don't buy it anymore

^^^ This. Stuff I had was supposed to need one coat as well and needed 3.
    The problems with quick dry gloss ie low coverage, low wear resistance are because they are normally water based rather than the regular gloss which is oil based, its also the reason quick dry gloss has a low voc (Volatile Organic Compound) rating. Oil based paints as they dry cure and harden which gives them more durabilty and makes them easier to clean, with the water based ones when you use a liquid to clean you are taking some of the paint away each time.

Edit/addition: The fact quick dry gloss is water based is also why it is cheaper as obviously water is cheaper than the oild used in regular glosses, its basically a shiny emulsion paint.
    (edited)
    Author
    Thank you Harlzter, much appreciated. I suspected it was water based like emulsion rather than oil base. I know to prep it first but I'll probably forego the sanding. God clean and dust first will suffice by my standards.

Do you recommend rollers or pads by the way for emulsion painting? Any tips for painting ceilings?
    Id really suggest the extra 5 minutes it takes to lightly sand the woodwork it will make a difference to durability and it removes any lose flakes of paint previously applied that would make the new coat peel when dried.
    For large areas like smooth walls then foam rollers are good for textured walls use something like a lambs wall roller to get into all the nooks and crannys.Apply paint to the roller and rub it around the roll in the tray so its evenly covered but not dripping before you lift it up.Roll it slowly across the walls in even strokes as rolling it fast will cause paint splatter to spray onto the floor and also have a good floor covering near where you paint something like an old curtain or bed sheet will suffice.
    You can get away with emulsioning the walls first then doing the woodwork after as this way you only have to cut in the once and any emulsion on the woodwork will get covered by the gloss paint..
    SixFeet

Doing some decorating and was told to get Non-Drip. However need … Doing some decorating and was told to get Non-Drip. However need quite a lot and it only comes in 750ml (£13) pots while Quick Dry comes in 2.5l (£18) pots and almost the same price as the Non Drip.Is there any real difference?

Don't don't why posts are going on about emulsioning walls , the OP has clearly mentioned the difference between non-drip and quick dry paint . This paint is clearly for woodwork .
    Quick dry paint is mainly water based , not the best for long lasting . Yes it's quick to dry and you wash your brushes with water . Non drip paint is mainly oil based paint and is used over a oil based undercoat .It's more of a thicker ,creamier paint and because of this doesn't drip . Brushes are washed with turps or brush cleaner .
    I'm a decorator with 43 years experience and always paint the woodwork using the 2 coat system [ undercoat & gloss] after 'keying' the surface first . There may be times a quick paint may be required , then I can use Crown Solo.
    This has always been known as a self-undercoating gloss .It's oil based and has a very good coverage and in most case's only requires 1 coat ,so quickening the time needed .
    For a really decent finish , sand the woodwork , hoover the woodwork , give it a coat of undercoat , then coat with the gloss paint a day later .
    SixFeet

Do you recommend rollers or pads by the way for emulsion painting? Any … Do you recommend rollers or pads by the way for emulsion painting? Any tips for painting ceilings?

ricko

Don't don't why posts are going on about emulsioning walls , .

Covering all the ground as ceilings where mentioned in the last post
's avatar