Posted 12 March 2024

Are premium channels no longer going to be available for sky HD boxes in six months time

Hi. Had a conversation with sky this morning renegotiating my sky package and they were again trying to get me to upgrade to Sky Q box and told me that the premium sky channels like sky sports will not be available on my older HD box. Has anyone else been told this?
I also downgraded my package at the end of the contact and they tried to charge me a £20 downgrade charge.
Anyway to cut a long story short i have downgraded to the basic sky package but then when i looked on the add on Sky sports came up at £20 BUT was only available to sky Q customers. I know they provide the box free but its only 1TB not the 2TB i already have and if i want the 2TB sky q box then i have to pay £99 upfront.
Community Updates
New Comment

27 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Not saying its not true but we've got longer than that on our Sky HD contract than contains Sports and Cinema ....no one's mentioned it to me at all. Last contract renewal Sky Q was about £5 a month cheaper for the same thing...Ive never heard of a downgrade charge before either.

Are you still in contract?
    Instead of giving them money for a box you'll never own, why not have a look at CloneAlliance boxes?
    Stop paying Sky they are rip-off merchants
    They are actively pushing away from satellite
    Does this imply Sky will eventually switch off its satellite transmission via Astra 2E, 2F, and 2G ?

I don't subscribe to Sky, and use a no-name satellite box to receive the various Sky channels (except PPV and subscription channels).
    Ummm Sky switching off their own Satellites. Interesting theory.
    They're pushing new customers to stream or glass, laying off satellite installers and the contracts to use satellites are only due to run a few more years, so seems more than a theory.

Plus, don't they rent rather than own the satellites? (edited)
    Do you need 2TB storage? Once you have Q you have a lot more on demand content anyway so you don't need to record as much. As long as it's Sky's on demand and not an app you can still fast forward the ads too. But honestly if you threaten to leave they should really offer the 2TB box.
's avatar