Posted 29 December 2023

Blu Ray Player advice.

I've been looking for a budget Blu Ray Player from CEX but they hardly have any these days. Would a PS3 be a good alternative? I don't want to spend loads on one.
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    PS3 would do the job I’d think still. Grab a PlayStation remote for it too.
    Try Facebook Marketplace.
    I used a PS3 superslim for a while for Blu Ray and DVD playback and from memory it wasn't very practical, even when playing back a normal DVD the cooling fan was running as if I was playing a game and it was also kicking our a fair amount of heat.
    Facebook marketplace, plenty for under a tenner!
    Yeah, the PS3 was probably one of the best Bluray players for the money back in the day. Not many standalone players improved on the playback. The only issue is the lack of "standard" remote (the game controller isn't exactly intuitive). I had an external box to use a 3rd party remote back in the day
    are you not able to buy a really cheap budget blu-ray player new from other retailer.

I would imagine CEX 2nd hand wouldn't be great anyways. and a 2nd hand ps3 can start to run into problems after a lot of use likely before being given to CEX
    What about Ebay? (edited)
    It depends how much you want out of the player. If its just to play discs you'll be ok. But a lot of older bluray players, especially Samsung, no longer have app support. The one I have no longer has access to things such as bbc iplayer and All4 etc. Obviously the ps3 will increase your options for what you can do
's avatar