Posted 2 days ago

Can I use a chromecast on an older laptop to my tv

Hi, I would like a little advice please, I seem to be having issues with my dads laptop ( running windows 10 ) and no longer recognises my hdmi cable and says no signal. I’ve tried reinstalling the divers etc but still nothing. My dad need to see it on the to due to eye sight. I’ve reducing the size of the icons and screen resolution back to normal but still nothing. im wondering if I could use a chromecast to do this but the computer is 6/7 years old. I know nothing about chromecasts and would apple a little help please.
big THANK YOU in advance
 😃

I had also been thinking about a chrome book for him as the computer can get a little confusing are they any good, he just uses for browsing and downloading. Thanks again 😄
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    HDMI ports can get dirty or break. On either laptop or TV blasting the port with compressed air from a can sometimes helps by simply blowing away any gunge.
    A chromecast device is attached to a TV via a HDMI port and then the laptop screen can be mirrored to the TV screen wirelessly. Of course, if it is attached to the same dodgy HDMI port on the telly it might not work. If there are different HDMI ports on telly and laptop you should try those.

Chromebooks IMHO are brilliant - much better than windows laptops especially for simple browsing. Yes, you can download stuff but chromebooks tend to have limited storage so I would want to know more about the stuff that is downloaded. With a touchscreem chromebook it can be a little easier using pinch-an-punch to magnify a screen.
    Modern Chromebooks are not so tight on the storage - many will now come with 128GB or more onboard. And some are now also using standard drives instead of the slower emmc storage.
    For the connection, if the HDMI port is dead, you can get various adaptors and use a USB port instead.

Regarding the Chromebook, go for it. They're brilliant and £ for £ can't be beat. So fast and hassle free and a pleasure to use for normal day to day usage.
    Author
    Smashing thank you 
    Obvious suggestion maybe, but have you tried a different HDMI cable?
    Author
    Hi, yes sorry I should have mentioned that, yes I have used a different one. Still no joy unfortunately 🙈 (edited)
's avatar