Posted 12 hours ago

Cheaper QLED Vs non QLED better known brand

Hi all

Just wondering on opinions on the above. My existing Samsung TV was a budget level 43" 4k model and after 4 years I can now see the led backlight bulbs through the picture so am looking to replace.

I can only really go for a 43" due to the space I have (standard side of alcove set up) and ideally budget under £400. The question is do I go for a TCL/Hisense model where I can get a QLED around £320 or am I better off with a "superior" (questionable given the failure of my Samsung) brand without QLED in the same price bracket?
Community Updates
New Comment

5 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    QLED is just branding, not a meaningful category.

While it does in theory refer to a specific component - a different way of building a backlight - it has a couple of problems. Firstly the name is not universally used on all TVs that include that, and secondly that change is not a very significant one to the overall picture. Lots of other bits of hardware that vary between models are much more influential.

So basically ignore where the TV has the QLED branding attached and decide between LCD models on their individual merits.

In terms of whether it's worth buying a budget brand instead of one more established then what are your priorities? Generally TCL and Hisense have focused on getting as much support for the latest picture standards in as possible at the cost of being a bit rough around the edges. If durability is your priority then I'd definitely lean towards someone a bit more conservative like Sony.
    Id go hisense qled, check the models, some get really good reviews
    I can only go off my own experience but I have bought 3 Sony TV's and not had a single issue with them over the years. My most recent is a high end 65 inch that I got 7 years ago for £1500 and still going strong (with hopefully another 3 years left in it) I always think its better to buy a higher end TV's as its suited me well over the years.

However a caveat to that opinion is I bought a £300, 49 inch Hisense TV 5/6 years ago and that seem to be going ok despite it being about as cheap and cheerful as you can get (edited)
    I have a Hisense 55inch QLED and I can't fault it at all. Vidaa (the Smart TV bit) is half decent too.
    The specific model I got in March last year was 55E7HQTUK which cost me £435 delivered and recieved great reviews at the time.
    It was good enough that it completely changed my opinion on the brand and I have since bought a 40 inch Hisense TV for the back room, a Hisense fridgefreezer and a Hisense Washer Dryer. The value for money is truly surprising.
    All that said, only time will tell if it turns out to be a bad choice.
    Author
    Thanks for the feedback 🏻
's avatar