Posted 12 April 2023

Electric bike conversion kit

Basically my wife says if I convert her hybrid bike into an electric bike she might just come with me on bike rides up to 20 miles or thereabouts. Currently she has a Carrera Crossfire that she is happy with and in very good condition. I'm more than capable of converting the bike however I am aware there are numerous kits out there. So my question is which kit to buy based on people's recommendations. I'd also like to err on a conservative cost as it may not end up being used lots however cost isn't the be all and end all. Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
New Comment

19 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Best bet would be to join a dedicated forum for this kind of thing. Like pedelecs.co.uk

Will be full of all the info and advice you would need (edited)
    Author
    Will do. Thank you.
    She's lying, they always make you think the dream is within reach.
    Author
    I know I'm just blindly in love with my wife since she stuck two fingers in my eyes
    There is an electric version of the Crossfire, so I guess you could get some ideas from that.

halfords.com/bik…tml
    Used this company - highly recommended by me

easifitebikekit.co.uk/

Really helpful on the phone, decent equipment, very easy to fit, and decent speeds on the commute

The battery is enough for about 30miles, but I use it on max power, you'd get more if on a lower assist
    Find a decent 2nd hand Carrera Vulcan-e spec, (my wife loves hers.) & there's plenty of post COVID bargains out there lately
    If u really must go down the conversion route & need something that rides like a normal bike opt for a mid drive bafang kit , u won't go wrong with them as there's plenty of support groups online along with plenty of reasonably priced spares & accessories available (edited)
    Author
    Well after looking at a few electric bike options I came to the conclusion that they tend to use disc brakes and hers are rim brakes☹️. However I have come across awaiting further pics of what seems to be a good buy on a 5/7 year old Boardman fi mountain bike, which already has hydraulic brakes. So fingers crossed and it looks ok I'll be in for a car journey to pick it up. Ideally I'd go for a mid drive, and bafang was on my list. I will keep this updated however I'm away a lot so it won't be super quick.
    Nothing wrong with vbrakes just dont get sucked in with the hype of dozy discs unless you are a sportsman/woman...I forget the rest. rider
    Author
    Hopefully this is one decent bike total £130 plus about £12 of fuel to get it. Overall the condition is reasonable, mechanically all works great other than the lock out fork, there appears to be a bit missing under the switch or it's the wrong one on it see pic.
    50080372-DFkoz.jpg50080372-07BpW.jpgNow I'm just looking seriously into a kit.
    looking good
    Author
    Might sound a silly question, but do you add the chain rings to the bafang set up ie the additional inner two, or do you just accept you only run one at the front?
    You use the one in the kit.
    Single ring
    Have you looked into the tongsheng mid drive kit?
    The torque sensor would make it feel more like a cycling experience.
    I have the tsdz2 and I love it.
    Whichever kit you get I wouldn't bother installing the throttle.
    You're at higher risk of getting into trouble with the plod because you're immediately breaking the law and it's obvious with the throttle on the handle bar.
    The tsdz motor is so small I sometimes have to point it out to people because they can't see where it is.
    Also, with the torque sensor you won't need to install a brake sensor to stop the motor in case the throttle gets stuck in the on position. You can but it's not needed.
's avatar