Posted 24 November 2023

Mattress

Looking to get my 10yo lad a new single mattress as he is complaining he can feel the springs in his old one. I have looked online and still haven’t really got a clue on which is best to buy foam sprung etc.. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Honestly go to a local bed store. A lot of it is down to personal preference and he needs to try it out.

Bed World, if you have a store near you is pretty good to deal with and especially if you can get there over this weekend the offers tend to be good around Black Friday.

If you absolutely must buy online then I would try and get a mattress that’s got proper springs on the bottom and a layer of memory foam on top. It gives you the best of both worlds. Baker&Wells, and Healthopaedic are two decent brands to look into that I personally like the comfort of. Or if looking a little cheaper then Birlea’s SleepSoul range have some memory pocket hybrids that are more affordable but still decent quality. Lots of different retailers stock these brands.

Honorable mention to IKEA too. I know a few people who bought mattresses fairly cheap there and were rather impressed with them.

Biggest bit of advice would be to ignore the many brands you keep seeing advertised like Simba, Emma, eve etc.. They don’t tend to live up to the hype and lots of people complain about the quality after a year or so and find there’s a huge dip in the middle where it’s started to collapse.
    Author
    Thanks for taking the time to reply this is really helpful.
    As Kodabear said - go in-store. We are lucky as we have always bought our beds and mattresses from a local store (Hamseys) but there are multiple options available.

Spend a Saturday morning laying on beds around town, pick whichever your child likes and is within budget.

Re memory foam etc - we used a mattress topper that does the same thing.
    Pocket sprung always.
    Ergoflex. You can thank me later
    We just bought two new mattresses for my 13 and 16 year old boys. They haven't complained about it at all and seem to sleep well on them. Been thinking of getting one more for my youngest.
    Here's the link for what we purchased.
    mattressman.co.uk/pro…443
's avatar